Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

SY Nations Cup 2017

Escape Gaming

Badlands Masters

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Auto downloadedFind »

Users currently online
Staff (1)
»  robo
Members (33)
»  _5_
»  Hico
»  LB10
»  mmXy0
»  Rumpi
»  Twigg
Guests (149)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Ads

AoE2Wide (wide screen & higher resolutions, by boekabart)

AoC game updates and patches, secure and improve your gameplay
Advertisement from Google 

AoE2Wide (wide screen & higher resolutions, by boekabart)

Postby  BugA_the_Great » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:35 pm

This patch is obsolete, for the same (and more) functionality please use UserPatch (for compatibility with 1.0c recorded games please check the enhanced 1.0c mode).

Installation: Unpack the file, and install "AoE2WideSetup.msi". Double click "AoE2Wide" icon that appeared on your desktop. Use "AoC1.0c 1280x1024.bat" (or "AoC1.0e 1280x1024.bat") icons that appeared on your desktop for starting the game (note that 1280x1024 will be replaced with the resolution of your monitor).

DOWNLOAD: » "AoE2WideSetup.zip" (193 KB)

Preview, click to enlarge (1440x900, 1680x2100):

Image Image

Features:
  • Support for 1.0c and 1.0e executables. No support for version without expansion pack (yet).
  • Support for vertical resolutions higher than 1536 (I think unlimited).
  • Fixed vertical position of top-left text
  • AoE2Wide creates a batch file in the game folder and the desktop that allows you to easily start a widescreen version of the game, without having to check the resolution in the options screen all the time. Also, on Vista an win7, this will try to kill explorer.exe before the game, and start it again afterwards, in order to fix the palette issue (which is not a patch issue, by the way).
  • Created an MSI installer. http://boekabart.dyndns.org/aoe2wide/la ... eSetup.msi
  • UAC: AoE2Wide.exe now requests elevation, and is therefore able to write directly to the game folder. Note that it will not overwrite any original files, nor abuse the elevation for something else.
Little note about the support for different versions: If you have multiple versions alongside each other, AoE2Wide will find them all (all supported, that is) and create multiple patched exes, one for each version. Also, the batchfiles will be duplicate. If you name the executables, for example, age2_x1_1.0e.exe and age2_x1_1.0c.exe, the 'suffix' will appear back in the patched-exe and shortcut names.

Known issues:
  • Only expansion pack (The Conquerors) works at the moment
  • The vertical position during recorded game playback seems incorrect
  • The vertical position of the 'the Conquerers' overlay is incorrect
  • The background and especially the Load/Save dialogs don't look good yet due to the way the images are stretched now
Source code: http://boekabart.dyndns.org/aoe2wide/

If you want to support the past and future development of this patch, please visit http://boekabart.dyndns.org/aoe2wide/donate.html where you can find a PayPal donate button. Thank you very much!
Attachments
AoE2WideSetup.zip
(193.39 KiB) Downloaded 20131 times
 BugA_the_Great

1514 (47%)

Re: AoE2Wide (wide screen & higher resolutions, by boekabart

Postby  BucketheaD » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Holly shit! This is amazing! Can I play using this in Voobly/IGZ ?? Are you sure it don't causes any bug?

But, this is very good. Thank you! I'll try it. =)
 BucketheaD

Postby  BugA_the_Great » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm

It`s not yet supported on Voobly (because it doesn`t allow usage of "custom" .exe files, to reduce possibility of hacking), but might be soon. Developers there are aware of this for a while, but yesterday Elusive (main dev) checked it and asked for the sources, to see what can be done.
 BugA_the_Great

1514 (47%)

Postby  LyS_ruLeZ » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:38 am

Hello, this doesnt work. i get an error messsage when i start the AoE2Wide-file:

assertion failed: Abort=Quit, Retry=Debug, Ignore=Continue

at DrsPatcher.Patch(Stream oldDrs, Stream newDrs, Int32 old Width, Int32 oldHeight, Int32 newWidth, Int32 newHeight)
at Program.PatchExecutable(Int32 new Width, Int32 newHeight, Patch patch)
at Program. Go(String[] args)
at Program.Main(String[] args)

and when i start AoC1.0e 1680x1050-file i get this messsage: the graphicsystem couldnt be initialized. assure that your graphic card and driversoftware are compatible with directdraw.
my hardware is pretty new..
the age2_x1 file still works.

can you plz help me.
 LyS_ruLeZ

Postby  BugA_the_Great » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:01 am

I`ll try to contact the author (boekabart), I believe he can help better.
 BugA_the_Great

1514 (47%)

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  LyS_ruLeZ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:52 am

Hello, i contacted boekabart now and he said that the tool doesnt work on brand new hardware.

Thanks for your help anyway.
 LyS_ruLeZ

Postby  _Jago_ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:19 am

Ok..... the tool looks very nice but......
how is not that cheating???!
Well imagine how it will look in 31' monitors, it's a big advantage if your opponent plays in normal resolution.
just a thot.
 _Jago_

Postby  CondoM » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 am

It's also a big disadvantage if somebody gets to play in 1280x1024 against an opponent who is stuck with 1024x720 or whatever. This patch allowed me to play in 1280x800 which is much much better than the regular resolution I get with my laptop.
Mr_Yo on FeAge
  Mr_Yo wrote:
i wish him hit by a meteor
 CondoM

Postby  _Jago_ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:18 am

Ok, fair enough.
What about limiting to 1280x1024 the max normal resolution you can get. Dont get me wrong, i find it useful and im sure the author spent too much time making it, and i appreciate it. But if voobly allow to use this patch, they have to be sure that it isnt cheating.
IMHO if you are allowed to play in resolutions far away beyond the max resolution, it is cheating. Just my opinion and my suggestion is allow the patch for lap-top users 1280x800 reso, by limiting the patch not getting higher than 1280x1024.
 _Jago_

Postby  BugA_the_Great » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:52 am

OK, LyS_ruLeZ , thanks for the info. I sent him an e-mail on that very day, but he still didn`t reply.

Hm... When the game came out, 800x600 was a standard, 1024x768 common, and 1280x1024 was luxury - but it was 10 years ago, things changed very much since then. Was cheating if someone could afford to buy 1280x1028 monitor and play someone on 800x600?

But I see your point, _Jago_... It`s always a questionable thing when someone alters original game files, is that good or bad. Sometimes even when some bugs are fixed, it still can produce some other debates, so maybe it`s better to leave the bugs as they are, because that`s what the original author made, just get used to it. If we start changing everything we can, to fix it and "fix" it, we may pass the line somewhere...

I`ll suggest Voobly developers maybe just to whitelist these resolutions - 1280x768, 1280x800 and 1280x960, at least for the first time. I guess the original idea of thi patch was to fix wide-screen resolutions, and being able to set any resolution just came in the meantime, as a bonus feature.

What do you think of 1440x900? I think that one could be whitelisted, too (1280x1024 still has bigger visible area than 1440x900).
 BugA_the_Great

1514 (47%)

Next

Return to Patches