DOWNLOAD w7ddpatcher-withsource.zip (source code included)
- 1) Unpack the packed file.
2) Start w7ddpatcher.exe.
3) Click Patch, select your game executable (usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\age2_x1\age2_x1.exe) and click Open.
- 1) App gets HWND/process IDs of application being run.
2) App runs the application.
3) It kills its threads as soon as a HWND and thread ID is gathered.
4) From there, the most recent DirectDraw application ID is gathered. Since it was the app to be patched, it copies it to a variable.
5) This variable, along with the needed flags makes a compatibility profile in the Registry for Windows Vista/7 to use with that application, only. It won't affect other parts of your registry. The key name used comes from the application's window class name/IDs.