Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

King of the Desert

Masters of Arena 5

Escape Gaming

Polaris Series

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Users currently online
Members (24)
»  ebbu
»  pexi
Guests (126)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Auto downloadedFind »

Ads

NC too longggggggg

Moderator:  Nonsensical

Advertisement from Google 

Re: NC too longggggggg

Postby  Influenza » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:33 pm

admins actually did an excellent job in condensing the tournament. In WIC, the teams had to play 7-8 weeks to get to the final stage (last 8), while in this tournament, they only had to play 5 weeks. There were even more teams signed up for this tournament than WIC. In all previous NC tournaments, the preliminary stages were also significantly longer. Admins did their very best to cut the tournament duration down while still giving all teams a chance to reach the final stages... but somehow we still find a reason to complain without even realizing that huge improvements have already been made
Last edited by  Influenza on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StressedOut: u guys are like husbandry and wife
 Influenza

Postby  King_Marv » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:34 pm

this tournament is great, i have no chance of winning a cent but i enjoy playing these games. And its good that you have enough time to complete these games, so you can also enjoy the summer with friends and work at the same time.

Regarding to Riuts comment... if he really is serious with that its clearly shown that he plays for the money and not for fun. Sure its better for him to win 5000€ in 2 weeks than in 2 months, but for all other who cant win, the tournament would be destroyed because they have to work, study, travel and organize their real live which ruit might not have to do ( i dont know).So there is no possibility for them to complete those games in time, which means there are no other games than the 8 who were invited. But then you exclude surprises and then its no NC because you have only 6 nations playing.

also for many people it doesnt matter who is playing, it matters how good is the casting. A casting from someone good with bad players is more funny than casting Viper vs Yo expert arabia 1v1 hun war number 5000 by someone bad.

For example i like memb casting idefix vs derp, also i liked gmans casting his tournament or queros casting. What i dont like is Zeros attitude in casting his games. Its all so standard and boring, no fun, small interaction with the chat. The best casting he had was his 3v3 with viper team vs Daut team, not because i played in there, because it was something new. I wonder why there is no other series like Slam team vs TheMax team or similar. Whatever you might not agree with me, but you dont have to. If you dont enjoy memb its fine, if you like Zero its fine too.
 King_Marv

Postby  Aurelius » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:48 pm

The format of the tournament is very good.
 Aurelius

Postby  thepitzaboy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:48 pm

02 Aug 2017, 18:33 GMT » Influenza wrote:
admins actually did an excellent job in condensing the tournament. In WIC, the teams had to play 7-8 weeks to get to the final stage (last 8), while in this tournament, they only had to play 5 weeks. There were even more teams signed up for this tournament than WIC. In all previous NC tournaments, the preliminary stages were also significantly longer. Admins did their very best to cut the tournament duration down while still giving all teams a chance to reach the final stages... but somehow we still find a reason to complain without even realizing that huge improvements have already been made

Did the top 8 seed make it to the knockout? Or there are some upsets? Sorry I don't seem to find the ranking of the team post sign up/pre-tournament.
 thepitzaboy

1716 (60%)

Postby  NigelSlack » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:56 pm

02 Aug 2017, 17:59 GMT » poZ_edie wrote:
Riut was probably very angry when he wrote his post which is understandable but it doesnt mean he is right at all.

Open tournament let chance to anyone to play, to have fun, to try to beat favorit/said better team (we already had many exemple of this in this nc, ema/chile b/etc). Its true its long, but is it longer than wic or other big tg tournament ?
Is it fair to make it only invitational tournament ? what about the other who want to play, to have fun or to try to win aswell ?

(sorry its soon dinner and im hungry). Sometimes you eat at fast-food (kebab/macdo) and it long 20mins, sometimes you eat at restaurant and it take longer, you eat starter then the main course and then the best for the end the dessert and it long 2h. But both are good, in aoc same, we should have some long tournament open to all and some short invitational, imo.

1 Day tourney are like a "quick-one", you'll enjoy it but you know u can't show all your potential in such a small time performance...

Big tourneys are like **** a whole weekend stoping only to rest/eat :twisted:

In this analogy a Lan tourney equals to an orgy? :?
How to host
 NigelSlack
Top Player

2000 (65%)

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  GmanStreams » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Edie you are a true poet and a scholar <3 KappaPride
 GmanStreams

Postby  pumukel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:10 pm

There is always the possibility of an open/invitiational mixture by inviting top seeded participants of an open sign-up to later stages (I'm talking top seeds globally, not one top seed per continent like NC14).

Playing through an NC17 example:

Same 4x4 Gold Groups, but in every group, two spots for invited teams, two spots for qualificants. (The actual top 8 of NC17 is identical with the seeded top 8 of NC17 btw.)

Effects: Only 20 instead of 28 matches in Ro128. Additional Ro16 (top 8 of qualifiers go to gold league instead of top 16). 1 week more overall, but 2 weeks less for top 8 teams and players like RiuT, who would still have the risk to meet scheduling nightmares in gold groups and getting up early on sunday for nothing.
 pumukel
Admin

Postby  SMB360 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 pm

02 Aug 2017, 18:33 GMT » Influenza wrote:

Hear, hear. I know that the admins spent a good deal of time redrafting and optimising the format with these things in mind. The tournament is progressing relatively quickly for the top teams, whilst the teams that are here for fun have the guaranteed possibility to play a lot of games in the Silver League. It's been a resounding success in my book. There will always be some outlying issues but most of them (e.g. RiuT's complaint) will arise from poor scheduling, which you can't entirely legislate for.
 SMB360

1624 (51%)

Postby  teutonic_tanks » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:28 pm

02 Aug 2017, 20:11 GMT » pumukel wrote:
There is always the possibility of an open/invitiational mixture by inviting top seeded participants of an open sign-up to later stages (I'm talking top seeds globally, not one top seed per continent like NC14).

Playing through an NC17 example:

Same 4x4 Gold Groups, but in every group, two spots for invited teams, two spots for qualificants. (The actual top 8 of NC17 is identical with the seeded top 8 of NC17 btw.)

Effects: Only 20 instead of 28 matches in Ro128. Additional Ro16 (top 8 of qualifiers go to gold league instead of top 16). 1 week more overall, but 2 weeks less for top 8 teams and players like RiuT, who would still have the risk to meet scheduling nightmares in gold groups and getting up early on sunday for nothing.

that would be sad for some bad teams who always wanted to play vs very good/top teams (often incfluding their Idols). NC is one of the few possibilities to get these kind of games.
 teutonic_tanks

Postby  pumukel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:34 pm

02 Aug 2017, 20:28 GMT » teutonic_tanks wrote:
that would be sad for some bad teams who always wanted to play vs very good/top teams (often incfluding their Idols). NC is one of the few possibilities to get these kind of games.

yes, of course, there is no such thing as a perfect tournament format :)

I remember how a low rated player signed-up for Master of Islands and sent a PM asking me to put him against dogao in R1 :|
 pumukel
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion