Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

King of the Desert

Masters of Arena 5

Escape Gaming

Polaris Series

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Users currently online
Members (35)
»  650r
»  FiRe5
»  infa
»  Modri
»  mrn
Guests (92)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Auto downloadedFind »

Ads

NC too longggggggg

Moderator:  Nonsensical

Advertisement from Google 

Re: NC too longggggggg

Postby  _Ra_ » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 pm

02 Aug 2017, 20:34 GMT » pumukel wrote:
  02 Aug 2017, 20:28 GMT » teutonic_tanks wrote:
that would be sad for some bad teams who always wanted to play vs very good/top teams (often incfluding their Idols). NC is one of the few possibilities to get these kind of games.

yes, of course, there is no such thing as a perfect tournament format :)

I remember how a low rated player signed-up for Master of Islands and sent a PM asking me to put him against dogao in R1 :|

I always suspected you people for bracket fixing
 _Ra_
Top Player

Postby  pumukel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:38 pm

02 Aug 2017, 21:02 GMT » _Ra_ wrote:
I remember how a low rated player signed-up for Master of Islands and sent a PM asking me to put him against dogao in R1 :|

still hurt feelings for denying your request back then?
 pumukel
Admin

Postby  Millo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:32 am

Things are fine the way they are, i can understand RiuT´s anger but he is far from being right, setbacks can happen at anytime and I could imagine VNS team didn´t excepect it aswell, im not sure if they did this kind of things before but as far as I know they have been participating on tourneys for a long time now and normally they attend to schedules.

Reducing the times also means reducing the given possibilities for the underdog players and/or teams. This has been happening a lot on 1v1 invitational tourneys and some TG tourneys, it is well known that mostly the top teams will most likely always win, but if you start limitating the sign ups again you kill the hype of so many other players and on a bigger scenario of this game I believe keeping intrest of newcomers is as important for the competitive scenario and the future of the tourneys as the comodity of the top players/teams.
-It´s not What You Push, It´s What Pushes You. Shine On You Crazy Diamond!-
 Millo
Top TG player

Postby  matty_moo_moo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:13 am

02 Aug 2017, 11:29 GMT » kw1k000000 wrote:
NC feels too long because the real tournament only started with Gold League. With that perspective its not long. Most of the games in earlier stages are inconsequential and kill the hype to an extent. One reason I felt Clan Masters invitational style kept the games relevant.

You also have got Silver League, which is no better than normal rated games. Absolute waste of admin and casters time. Fun for people playing though but they can just play normal rated games as well.

At the risk of getting shot down here for throwing my opinion out there, I definitely don't agree with the Silver League being a waste of time. Many people say or think that AoC needs more top level players coming through from the lower ranks etc, and giving us "little guys" a taste at being in a tournament setting is a great way to do that. Just because we aren't as good as TheMax or Yo or good enough to get into the big kid Gold League doesn't mean we don't deserve a chance to get a feel for what it's like playing in a big tournament does it? I dunno about others, but I've also made friends during this tournament that I wouldn't have made otherwise by being able to play in the Silver League, so I don't agree that the Silver League is a waste of time. And there have also been some fun games to watch in the qualification stages too, which is I guess why we want to watch AoC :)
 matty_moo_moo

1601 (49%)

Postby  Rauschgiftsuchtige » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:50 am

02 Aug 2017, 21:38 GMT » pumukel wrote:
  02 Aug 2017, 21:02 GMT » _Ra_ wrote:

still hurt feelings for denying your request back then?

1111, excellent.
 Rauschgiftsuchtige

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  Snyper1_ » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:30 pm

02 Aug 2017, 20:11 GMT » pumukel wrote:
There is always the possibility of an open/invitiational mixture by inviting top seeded participants of an open sign-up to later stages (I'm talking top seeds globally, not one top seed per continent like NC14).

Playing through an NC17 example:

Same 4x4 Gold Groups, but in every group, two spots for invited teams, two spots for qualificants. (The actual top 8 of NC17 is identical with the seeded top 8 of NC17 btw.)

Effects: Only 20 instead of 28 matches in Ro128. Additional Ro16 (top 8 of qualifiers go to gold league instead of top 16). 1 week more overall, but 2 weeks less for top 8 teams and players like RiuT, who would still have the risk to meet scheduling nightmares in gold groups and getting up early on sunday for nothing.

I think that is bad. First of all, as tanks said, why dont let weaker teams try to win against a top tier? We, (Ger B) saw that we get the chance to play SY in round 2, pulled of one of our best games on migration and even managed to win it, hell that was a great thing for us. If you exclude top tiers from playing against worse teams, you rob them the chance of improving by playing against stronger teams.

02 Aug 2017, 23:32 GMT » Millo wrote:
Things are fine the way they are, i can understand RiuT´s anger but he is far from being right, setbacks can happen at anytime and I could imagine VNS team didn´t excepect it aswell, im not sure if they did this kind of things before but as far as I know they have been participating on tourneys for a long time now and normally they attend to schedules.

Reducing the times also means reducing the given possibilities for the underdog players and/or teams. This has been happening a lot on 1v1 invitational tourneys and some TG tourneys, it is well known that mostly the top teams will most likely always win, but if you start limitating the sign ups again you kill the hype of so many other players and on a bigger scenario of this game I believe keeping intrest of newcomers is as important for the competitive scenario and the future of the tourneys as the comodity of the top players/teams.

Second, i dont get why the teams, that are going to win the money most of the time, should complain about the fact that they have to play some more games. We could easily cut off some % off the money and give it to worse teams so that top tiers have to play less games, i guess that wont be an option for any of these players?
The NC is THAT TOURNAMENT because it is a tournament for every player. Thats why it is the biggest, the most interesting and most hyped aoc tournament at all. Sure it is nice to see some 1v1 or inventional tournaments, but you dont get the mass hyped with that as much as with this beautiful NC
 Snyper1_

1879 (56%)

Postby  Carlini8 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:40 pm

03 Aug 2017, 01:13 GMT » matty_moo_moo wrote:
NC feels too long because the real tournament only started with Gold League. With that perspective its not long. Most of the games in earlier stages are inconsequential and kill the hype to an extent. One reason I felt Clan Masters invitational style kept the games relevant.

You also have got Silver League, which is no better than normal rated games. Absolute waste of admin and casters time. Fun for people playing though but they can just play normal rated games as well.

At the risk of getting shot down here for throwing my opinion out there, I definitely don't agree with the Silver League being a waste of time. Many people say or think that AoC needs more top level players coming through from the lower ranks etc, and giving us "little guys" a taste at being in a tournament setting is a great way to do that. Just because we aren't as good as TheMax or Yo or good enough to get into the big kid Gold League doesn't mean we don't deserve a chance to get a feel for what it's like playing in a big tournament does it? I dunno about others, but I've also made friends during this tournament that I wouldn't have made otherwise by being able to play in the Silver League, so I don't agree that the Silver League is a waste of time. And there have also been some fun games to watch in the qualification stages too, which is I guess why we want to watch AoC :)

I have loved the Silver League and have enjoyed watching many of the games casted on it and immensely enjoyed playing in it. I like having to play as a team, scheduling with the guys, practicing maps and then going all out and giving it a go even in games we are certain to lose; and then love watching others do the same (even if NZ are mean). If it comes round to next year and I still have money to donate I am pretty sure I would donate to the silver league again over gold.

If you think it is a waste of time, don't watch it!
 Carlini8

Postby  Flow » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:05 am

03 Aug 2017, 21:40 GMT » Carlini8 wrote:
  03 Aug 2017, 01:13 GMT » matty_moo_moo wrote:

I have loved the Silver League and have enjoyed watching many of the games casted on it and immensely enjoyed playing in it. I like having to play as a team, scheduling with the guys, practicing maps and then going all out and giving it a go even in games we are certain to lose; and then love watching others do the same (even if NZ are mean). If it comes round to next year and I still have money to donate I am pretty sure I would donate to the silver league again over gold.

If you think it is a waste of time, don't watch it!

Agreed. I'm just a Germany F scrub, but through NC I've met some guys I would never have met and played against people I would never have played against as well.
If the Admins (lots of love <3) would have complained because Silver League increased their workload I would have understood it. But if someone complains who literally isn't affected at all, it doesn't make any sense at all.
 Flow

1571 (49%)

Postby  matty_moo_moo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:02 am

We love you really Carlini <3
 matty_moo_moo

1601 (49%)

Previous

Return to General Discussion