Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

[BoA] Map Pool / - Guide / - Download

Moderator:  swissboyy

Advertisement from Google 

Re: [BoA] Map Pool / - Guide / - Download

Postby  franeelee » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:46 pm

08 Feb 2018, 13:23 GMT » swissboyy wrote:
  08 Feb 2018, 12:42 GMT » TriRem wrote:
Has it been considered to directly nerf towers (less range, HP, attack, higher cost...) in Socotra rather than removing all stone in the map, putting civs with good UU at a big disadvantage?

Yes.

7.... and? Are we going to see nerfed towers in boa?
 franeelee

Postby  dodageka » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:06 pm

I think the fact that civs with good UU are hurt will be somewhat fixed by draft mode - people will just pick different civs on this map then I guess. But let is see - I agree that we need to see some high-level test games first to have a clearer view of the rules have the desired effect or not
 dodageka

Postby  kw1k000000 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:11 pm

I hope Memb & Swissboyy take feedback in a constructive manner and don't consider it offensive. Some maps/ideas are just bad and its not really needed that 20 games get played on Socotra for it to be considered not a good map for competitive tournament.

If it was up-to me and then I would pick at least 3 popular maps in the map pool and 2 not so common ones but again not so extreme as socotra. Keeping the spirit of only land maps for BOA, my choice of map pool would be as below.

• KindArabia : No questions here. Arabia is the most popular and probably the best map. This version of Arabia with no cliffs is even better.
  • Ghost Lake : Another popular open map.
  • Team Acropolis : We have seen quite good games on this one in tournaments.
  • Bedouins : Nomad start but is more fair than Nomad and has resulted into a lot of fun games in TG. In my view a tried and tested pick offering enough variety.
  • Chaos Pit: Irregular map but again tried and tested.

This tournament is going to have enough variety if we consider 3v3, WK means new civs, civ drafts meaning we won't see repeated civs. I feel if we keep the map pool to tried and tested maps, it will encourage more players and also it will be interesting for both viewers & casters.
ImageAll hail, the king of aoc! Image

Tyrant_DauT
 kw1k000000

1703 (53%)

Postby  swissboyy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:37 pm

08 Feb 2018, 13:46 GMT » franeelee wrote:
  08 Feb 2018, 13:23 GMT » swissboyy wrote:
  08 Feb 2018, 12:42 GMT » TriRem wrote:
Has it been considered to directly nerf towers (less range, HP, attack, higher cost...) in Socotra rather than removing all stone in the map, putting civs with good UU at a big disadvantage?

Yes.

7.... and? Are we going to see nerfed towers in boa?

No.
Masters of Arena 2 & 3
Masters of MegaRandom
King of the Desert

paypal.me/swissboyy
 swissboyy

Postby  Rey_Fer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 pm

I think you are complaining too much. Remember that maps are drafted and we will see if no one wants to play socotra.

Ghost lake makes no sense in Africa.

No stone means no castles and no UU. So what? Since the new expansions we are watching lots of games based on UU, now other games will be played.

About Rorarimbo complaints: did you expect teams to sign up 2 months before deadline? I think 2 weeks before deadline is already too soon. Everybody is hyped about the tournament and things are happening because of it, but nobody wants to reveal their cards. Will Tyrant make 2 teams? How will they be distributed? These pieces of information will be kept secret until the last moment, there is no need to tell the rivals. Tatoh's movement was already a kind of sportsmanship. I would no worry: there will be 8 teams. (I also think that it is a good number so that tournament isn't too long). ç

Now, testing the maps is needed and I understand that contestants do not do it publicly (they cannot reveal their strategies). That is why some kind of underdog's event should be held to see how they work. Maybe a week-end torrnament for sub 2k or similar ideas. Promote the maps and tournament is always a good idea.
 Rey_Fer

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  Rorarimbo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Im more than aware how things work and how ppl (players think) they will be signing up on the last day even. Mine are not really complaints but wishful thinking. Many teams have already revealed theit line ups. They just havent made the effort to sign up. This is ofc their right but dont help the hype as I see it.
If you are wondering it will be 1 Tyrant team: Viper, Jordan, Lord Daut, Tatoh. Fire and Riut re going with Miguel and Dogao. Slam was in search of a team not sure if he found yet. I dont really understand the revealing the cards argument when you need to practice with those players and everyone knows eachother very well.But anyway

I have absolutely no worrie there will be 8 fantastic team my point is whoever wants more should do some action.

EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=1686&t=137166&view=unread#p557185
here we go. go go go go 14
 Rorarimbo

Postby  franeelee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 am

08 Feb 2018, 17:11 GMT » kw1k000000 wrote:
I hope Memb & Swissboyy take feedback in a constructive manner and don't consider it offensive. Some maps/ideas are just bad and its not really needed that 20 games get played on Socotra for it to be considered not a good map for competitive tournament.

If it was up-to me and then I would pick at least 3 popular maps in the map pool and 2 not so common ones but again not so extreme as socotra. Keeping the spirit of only land maps for BOA, my choice of map pool would be as below.

• KindArabia : No questions here. Arabia is the most popular and probably the best map. This version of Arabia with no cliffs is even better.
  • Ghost Lake : Another popular open map.
  • Team Acropolis : We have seen quite good games on this one in tournaments.
  • Bedouins : Nomad start but is more fair than Nomad and has resulted into a lot of fun games in TG. In my view a tried and tested pick offering enough variety.
  • Chaos Pit: Irregular map but again tried and tested.

This tournament is going to have enough variety if we consider 3v3, WK means new civs, civ drafts meaning we won't see repeated civs. I feel if we keep the map pool to tried and tested maps, it will encourage more players and also it will be interesting for both viewers & casters.

First of all, we have to consider that the tournament is called Battle of Africa, which means African maps. As Rey_Fer said, some of those maps makes not really sense on this tournament.

Also, viewers are all the time "complaining" about that the players are all the time playing the same maps, same civs, and so on... and here we have the choice to see different maps, different metas, different civs.
The maps that you are posting are almost the same than in NC, which is not bad, but since now we have many many new maps, lets used them and make something different.

The point is that the experts should play&practice more those maps to see if there is some map bugged, if one maps just make not sense.... but since almost anyone is playing this new maps, neither the experts nor the viewers and normal players how good or bad are those maps, settings...
 franeelee

Postby  swissboyy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:26 pm

- added two new all maps: "Beachfight" and "Dust"
- changed animals on and the name of some maps to polish look and feel
- Socotra: replaced water with forest, removed berries and changed name to NotSocotra
- Steppe: replaced the three yurts with two houses, tweaked the number of starting villagers and removed berries

Screenshots will come later.
Download link in the first post.
Masters of Arena 2 & 3
Masters of MegaRandom
King of the Desert

paypal.me/swissboyy
 swissboyy

Postby  nimanoe » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:45 pm

18 Feb 2018, 17:26 GMT » swissboyy wrote:
- Socotra: replaced water with forest, removed berries and changed name to NotSocotra
- Steppe: replaced the three yurts with two houses, tweaked the number of starting villagers and removed berries

Interesting :D

How does the pick/ban work now?
LEO CLAN IS BEST CLAN
 nimanoe

1513 (45%)

Postby  MembTV » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:11 pm

18 Feb 2018, 17:45 GMT » nimanoe wrote:
  18 Feb 2018, 17:26 GMT » swissboyy wrote:

Interesting :D

How does the pick/ban work now?

no repeat maps, but its all updated, you can check it.

Was doing the screenshot of the maps, and im even more motivated if that is even posible. :D
Enjoy with my streams there!!!!

http://www.twitch.tv/membtv
 MembTV

PreviousNext

Return to Rules & Settings