Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

Announcing Battle of Africa

Main page news

Moderator: News posters

Advertisement from Google 

Re: Announcing Battle of Africa

Postby  Icy-I » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:19 am

I don't even know if it needs to be 16 teams or (as Influenza proposed) a preliminary knock-out stage. (personally, I'd love to see a 5-12 qualifier round)

And here is the point where we've got (or rather the admin) seeding difficulties. As swissboy laid out, TG ladder is not saying much while 1v1 ladder speaks more about the skill of a single player. Others have rightfully pointed out that only because you are doing well 1v1, it doesn't mean you are great in TG.
I have no clear-cut solution (idea) for this dilemma. I guess you could say that all teams that sign up for the tournament must have practised 30 (or 50 or whatever) TG games together to be able to qualify. That would somehow put pressure on teams to practise. On the other hand, it is time-consuming for the players.
Another thing that could be done is to do it the other way around: reward the teams that have already played together in tons of TG games and combine it with the 1v1 ladder. So NaBs or Winland would obviously get buffed because they have been playing together for years. It wouldn't exclude new teams consisting of strong players but reward previously existing teams.
And while doing that maybe include the TG rating a little? Maybe do a combination of some sorts. E.G.:
50 % 1v1 ranking
20 % TG ranking
30 % misc (practice on map, pre-existing team in one form or another or other aspects that I don't have thought of)

Feel free to discuss this proposal. It is certainly not perfect and just a try to get a more realistic seeding. And if it is absolute bs, then tell me, too.
Love y'all
 Icy-I

Postby  Rorarimbo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:49 am

Well as much as I think ppl for the most part have been positive in a way their suggestions are aiming to help I also think its a little bit lack of maturity in some of the cases. It is normal for an online conversation so we dont make exception really. The thing is people have expressed their concerns and were given answers from the admin of the tournament. But these same concerns have been expressed again and again until the conversation gets heated up unnecessary.

Sometimes we may just agree to dissagree for some details and thats it. If we are not bringing new arguments what reason there is to insist in the same thing especially if we respect the other side of the argument. Unless you think the admin is actually uncapeble of doing his job (what is disrespectful by definition and unreasonable) you have given more than once your arguments. In fact the week prior to the official anouncent I have given similar suggestions and had similar concerns. But the fact is Swissboyy is in the position to decide and he has given arguments for his decision. Now its his choice to change some things or not given the feedback but he is not obligated to make certain changes just to make ppl happy while he is not convinced these changes are needed. In fact what is obvious here is he is having a clear vision how he wants things to look like. This is a strong position and as I see it something to respect enough so You wait and see how this plays out at the end.

Peace.
 Rorarimbo

Postby  Ansbald » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 am

I didnt read the whole thing, so sorry if that was already suggested.
How about Top20 Teams (if that many sign up) are decided via 1v1 rating, so (almost) no competetive team that can take games/have interesting series get left out. Each team then ranks the other 19 from best to worst (im pretty sure that has been done before, right?). That way you dont have to rely on high 1v1 skills that not necessarilly translate into good teams.

You play one round single elimination with the best 16 teams of that seeding and the 8 winners play the planned Round Robin. This will prolong the tournament by one week (and one before that for the seeding until you get answers from all teams) and you wont have teams with high 1v1-rate in for example arena in and Nabs out (just an example. not saying theyre worse).

This would include some additional work, but not too much I guess (as many people before stated there usually are a lot of great people that offer to help in this community and they would probably be happy to step in, in case this would provide a better tournament).
 Ansbald

Postby  swissboyy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:11 pm

19 Jan 2018, 08:52 GMT » edie wrote:
You do enormous work swissboy and quality work, in promoting in scheduling in admin task etc,but what stop you to accept someone help? for posting recs for scheduling topic etc, then you would be able to make it 16 teams.

Making it 16 teams is not about me or Memb not wanting to work more.
Main reason behind the small number of slots is keeping the level high, the tournament short and interesting for players and viewers and putting pressure on teams to up their ratings (play games / practise) to even reach the event. Less work is just an added benefit.

But let's do this: You PM me the teams you heard about and I'll have a look together with Memb. If there are some active 2k1+ teams that started or will start practicing 3v3s or 1v1s on the tournament maps that we missed I'll create a 1 week single elimination qualifier stage before the Swiss Groups for an additional 4 - 8 teams.
Masters of Arena 2 & 3
Masters of MegaRandom
King of the Desert

paypal.me/swissboyy
 swissboyy

Postby  kw1k000000 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:31 pm

19 Jan 2018, 14:11 GMT » swissboyy wrote:
  19 Jan 2018, 08:52 GMT » edie wrote:
You do enormous work swissboy and quality work, in promoting in scheduling in admin task etc,but what stop you to accept someone help? for posting recs for scheduling topic etc, then you would be able to make it 16 teams.

Making it 16 teams is not about me or Memb not wanting to work more.
Main reason behind the small number of slots is keeping the level high, the tournament short and interesting for players and viewers and putting pressure on teams to up their ratings (play games / practise) to even reach the event. Less work is just an added benefit.

But let's do this: You PM me the teams you heard about and I'll have a look together with Memb. If there are some active 2k1+ teams that started or will start practicing 3v3s or 1v1s on the tournament maps that we missed I'll create a 1 week single elimination qualifier stage before the Swiss Groups for an additional 4 - 8 teams.

There you go guys, now it's up to players to show that they are active and willing. We have 3 months for that.
ImageAll hail, the king of aoc! Image

Tyrant_DauT
 kw1k000000

1713 (54%)

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  Rorarimbo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:42 pm

its almost 2 months not 3 :D. Anyway think this is a good news.
 Rorarimbo

Postby  vesnoimorskoi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:50 pm

19 Jan 2018, 14:11 GMT » swissboyy wrote:

ty swissboyy
Last edited by  vesnoimorskoi on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 vesnoimorskoi

Postby  edie » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Done swissbabe, thx <3
<CGA_Cataclysm lost>
<DraCoNT won>
<http://www.voobly.com/match/view/16923183>
<PMR_Keif> Metal give me your account, I know how to calm this lizard

[20:00] [Frantic]SOBIGDIAO says:
U KING

[14:21] poZ_edie says:
do u have facebook?