Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

Announcing Battle of Africa

Main page news

Moderator: News posters

Advertisement from Google 

Re: Announcing Battle of Africa

Postby  Fall » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:32 am

Honestly take it as a compliment that you've designed an event that's got so many people interested. The big ones with potential are the ones worth discussing. You don't really want an event which no one has anything to say about! :D
01:09:40 [TIC]darvoi: i will land my island
 Fall

1944 (55%)

Postby  Cutht » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:48 am

I think there are nicer ways to express your discontent with the settings. Both swissboyy and especially Memb have invested quite some free time and resources and spare time into hosting tournaments which these top players profit from.

Something like ; "Hey it's really awesome you guys host this tournament but I think settings XYZ would be a great addition to this tournament etc..." would be a more polite way than

18 Jan 2018, 20:32 GMT » Nicov wrote:
Making seedings on kotd based on 1v1 rating was already bad, but using the 1v1 rating for a TG tournament really makes no sense at all 11. Even TG rate is not a good parameter.

The easiest way to solve this issue in every tournament would be simply making the own teams seed everyone as it used to be in some tournaments long time ago (also in EGC if I'm not wrong?).

I also agree with everything that heart has said.

18 Jan 2018, 20:40 GMT » dogao wrote:
I dont know why you guys are wasting your time saying how swissboy should do his things, it's clealy its only in his way or you are welcome to not take part of the event. He answers agressively almost everyone, just take a look in the topic where everyone was trying to convince him about the bugged map thing.

If i were you i would just give up. :lol:

18 Jan 2018, 17:32 GMT » Hearttt wrote:
It seems like decisions are being made just to avoid more effort, which is completely the wrong approach if you are trying to host what is supposed to be one of the biggest TG tournaments in a while. Was there NOONE else in the whole aoc community willing to help the admins with this tournament or what?

I think it's very easy to see these how comments and especially dogao's comment are interpreted in a disrespectfull manner.
Hearttt's comment does indeed imply, and if I were the organiser I'd certainly interpret it like that, that swissboyy is just lazy and doesn't care. Adding extra admins does increase the workload.
Hearttt "talking numbers"... Like really (I wish I was a valley girl!), how was that even relevant?

There is nothing wrong with criticism. Expressing it in a polite way with respect to the people organizing tournaments in which you make money is the way to go.

PS: English is not my mothers tongue so you might misinterpret some stuff
Last edited by  Cutht on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Cutht

Postby  Cutht » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:56 am

Typical case of both parties profiting of eachother and not liking the way it's being played.

That's road cycling 101 for you 8)
 Cutht

Postby  Athasos » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:57 am

19 Jan 2018, 00:48 GMT » Cutht wrote:
I think it's very easy to see these how comments and especially dogao's comment are interpreted in a disrespectfull manner.
Hearttt's comment does indeed imply, and if I were the organiser I'd certainly interpret it like that, that swissboyy is just lazy and doesn't care. Adding extra admins does increase the workload.
Hearttt "talking numbers"... Like really (I wish I was a valley girl!), how was that even relevant?

There is nothing wrong with criticism. Expressing it in a polite way with respect to the people organizing tournaments in which you make money is the way to go.

+1
 Athasos

Postby  MrIster24 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:17 am

not sure if srs
 MrIster24

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  OLADUSHEK » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 am

Well, i got heartattack from Memb post.... GG 11111
 OLADUSHEK

1696 (58%)

Postby  Icy-I » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:13 am

I think if you try to organize a tournament in which money is involved (and there are some other stakes in it like first WK TG tournament) then you should be prepared to incite a discussion.
It may be swissboy's tournament (apparently, not wanting to receive any outside help and doing all this stuff for free which would be wrong) but he needs the players, the streamers and the viewers in order to be succcessful. So any criticism received should be welcome first of all and maybe handled more open-heartedly.

I write for a living (and still study it) and whenever I write a text and present it to the group I am working with, there is no holding back. Everyone knows it is a text of high quality (at least, I hope so) but only negative aspects are brought forth and the text is deconstructed in 5 minutes.
I have learned that getting feedback about the things that are not working is far and away better than only receiving semi-honest responses if you want to improve.
So imo, embrace the criticism and do whatever you want with it. In the end, you hold the power and can decide if you want to change anything.
To be quite honest, I don't think it matters much for the tournament if you change anything. Viewer numbers will still be there, matches will be of high quality. It does speak loudly, though, about the discussion climate in the AoC/AoEII community if any criticism is being treated as if it is a war declaration.
 Icy-I

Postby  ZeroEmpires » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:28 am

19 Jan 2018, 08:13 GMT » Icy-I wrote:
It does speak loudly, though, about the discussion climate in the AoC/AoEII community if any criticism is being treated as if it is a war declaration.

It's always been this way and it sort of makes sense. We're a small community and sponsored tournaments usually have low prize money or don't happen often at all. So when there's suddenly a bunch of money involved there's a group of people that try to silence any negative discussion about the event because they believe that it will scare the sponsor/s away.
What most people ignore is that criticism from most people here is coming from the heart and coming because we want to see the best event possible. Sometimes things aren't written in nice flowery English and things get hostile, but I put this down to cultural reasons and the fact that we're an international community where English is not the first language for many.
We need to stop being so sensitive and realise that if a lot of experienced players are concerned about something, then its probably for a good reason and has absolutely no bearing on their appreciation or respect for the sponsors. Way too much emotion involved when there really doesn't need to be.
 ZeroEmpires

Postby  swissboyy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 am

19 Jan 2018, 00:48 GMT » Cutht wrote:

Being polite would be putting the cherry on the cake but it's not necessary if you are making a good point that takes into consideration all sides of the argument. I'm welcoming that with open arms, nobody has anything against constructive criticism. That's why I'm replying to so many posts and offering my logic, asking for solutions from people for problems I see. And that's why the rules and settings have changed numerous times already.
But if there is a certain rule or setting and I provide 5 reasons and 3 problems I want the other side to discuss these issues for me and not just reply: "Change or get someone to help you change" and "you are only doing it like this because you want to avoid more effort". Will answer back the same way one or two times and then completely ignore you.
Masters of Arena 2 & 3
Masters of MegaRandom
King of the Desert

paypal.me/swissboyy
 swissboyy

Postby  edie » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:52 am

You do enormous work swissboy and quality work, in promoting in scheduling in admin task etc,but what stop you to accept someone help? for posting recs for scheduling topic etc, then you would be able to make it 16 teams.
I don’t talk about the seeding rules because in the end no matter what rules is put get the top8, some teams that really deserve wont make it. I’m pretty sure nabs won’t be able to make it top 8 and I’m really sad, don’t come up with then they have to play 1v1 etc, then another team that deserve to play would not be able. I formed a team already for this tournament , I have spoke with many experts to know whats their plan if they will play and with who, all have showdx interest, but some might not get spot , although they aren’t weaker than the rest.
Just exemple how Irish brother+spring 2-3 vs aM week ago. Anyway that’s how it is, I hope some change or solution can be found, if not the tournament will still be great without doubt even if it could be better.
<CGA_Cataclysm lost>
<DraCoNT won>
<http://www.voobly.com/match/view/16923183>
<PMR_Keif> Metal give me your account, I know how to calm this lizard

[20:00] [Frantic]SOBIGDIAO says:
U KING

[14:21] poZ_edie says:
do u have facebook?
[14:21] poZ_Tammy says:
i dont play this game ..
 edie
Top 1v1 player