Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

wine aoe2 stuck at black screen on launching the exe

Hang out and relax, everyday discussions, chit-chat, off-topic, wololo
Advertisement from Google 

wine aoe2 stuck at black screen on launching the exe

Postby  xThomas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:23 am

Wasn't sure where to put this topic. I just want to play some single player and work on random maps, but when i launch aoe2 in wine is getting stuck at a black screen. I am pretty sure i have directplay installed (i mean, i don't know how to check to make sure it is working), i used the exe command -nostartup to disable startup animations (if its not working maybe), so i don't know what the problem is. There are some things i haven't tried yet, like messing with desktop settings and reinstalling the cmpatibility patch etc.

I'm not sure but my AoK HD.exe and Launcher.exe might have had the wrong names when i did the compatibility patch so that might be the cause.

Full list of what I have
PlayOnMac, Wine 2.1.4, HD Edition patched with Compatibility Patch, resulting exe patched with Userpatch 1.5, exe commands: -nostartup

should really just use terminal but i suck at using bash, scripts etc. and don't want to risk

Anyway im not trying to play online for now so i shouldn't need a staging version but if i did i guess i would need to set the STAGING_WRITECOPY variable to 1 everytime i launched wine... but I'm not trying to play multiplayer.
 xThomas

1568 (45%)

Re: wine aoe2 stuck at black screen on launching the exe

Postby  scripter64 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:59 am

Hi Thomas! The first thing that comes to mind is not having the proper language.dll, language_x1.dll, and language_x1_p1.dll files, since HD and Compat Patch don't provide them, I think. The second thing would be attempting to use windowed mode support (wndmode.dll in the age2_x1 folder) with Wine, which isn't supported. If wndmode.dll is present in your age2_x1 folder, please rename or delete it to block it from being loaded. If you'd like to use windowed mode with Wine, it's best to use Wine's own windowed mode system.

You can find the language files here: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=32232
 scripter64

Postby  mangojuice » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:15 am

I got the same problem after upgrading wine-staging to 2.13 and 2.14, so I downgraded it again to 2.12. For me it seems like a regression in newer wine versions, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it and was too lazy to submit a bug report.
 mangojuice

Postby  xThomas » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:36 am

@mangojuice: Ty. it worked. Sort of. It opened the first time. Now i get black screen again

@scripter64: ty for the reminder of dll

Edit: right now im trying to get winetricks in terminal since playonmac is being weird but idk what im doing so meh (i did cd to the directory with aoe2, but i think i have to make a new wineskin and use winetricks on that..)
 xThomas

1568 (45%)

Postby  xThomas » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:18 am

The problm on playonmac that i can tell seems to be that wine cannot find winemenubuilder.exe

actual error: wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"
(Please note i typed that out, not copy pasted, but that's pretty much verbatim from the shell i think)
I tried setting emulate virtual desktop in configure wine, as others said that's their solution, but it still brings that error when i start.

(Steps taken: Start PlayOnMac, click the virtual drive, click the configure button, go to the miscelaneous tab, start a shell, cd to the directory age2_x1, and type wine age2_x1.5.exe)

Alternate steps: all up to go to the miscelaneous tab, click run an exe file in this virtual drive, navigate through the menus to age2_x1.5.exe and start it

Altalt steps: all up to shell cd, type wine age2_x1.5.exe -nostartup

Possible thought: maybe the exe command -nostartup is not running when i do the shell? But i don't think thats the problem

(I also admit i never got the wine staging to work with winetricks since i couldn't figure out how to install winetricks so i just went back to playonmac)
 xThomas

1568 (45%)

Return to Community Café