Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

Can someone explain the how the versions work "after Skybox"

Take part in AoFE discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Advertisement from Google 

Can someone explain the how the versions work "after Skybox"

Postby  catloyalist » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:02 am

Hello everybody,

New member of the AoCzone. Just started playing the game online, successfully, for the first time in my life (I've only ever played LANs because I could never find where to play online, the zone never worked, etc.). I'm loving it. But I'm a little confused, since now there seem to be several versions of the game out there, each with their own separate multiplayer communities/lobbies.

Here's how I provisionally understand it, and if anybody could clarify or correct things for me, I would very much appreciate it:

AoC: the game we all bought on CD, latest patch was 1.0c (or e?), this is the version I played on LAN

AoFE: a mod for AoC, very awesome, which Skybox would later make into a full expansion pack. I never played this.

AoEIIHD: the first release by Skybox on Steam, with an ingame multiplayer lobby (which somehow worked through Steam?). I bought this when it came out but my computer couldn't run it, and then I forgot the pass and email to that Steam account, which is probably why I'm confused.

AoEIIHD - AOFE expansion: so what I'm supposing is, the Skybox AoFE wasn't really an expansion to AoC, but rather an expansion to the HD edition already out on Steam. But it uses the same lobby system, even if its games aren't visible to vanilla AoEIIHD players, and vice versa.

So my question, sparked by a seeming lack of players at times on the AoFe HD lobbies, is which version of the game do people really play, in tournaments and so on and just for fun? Is the AoFE forum on this site for the mod of AoC, or for HD AoFE? Will people eventually all move to the latest edition (HD AoFE)?

Also, is Voobly used for AoEIIHD vanilla, or just for the AOFE mod of the original AoC? If there are a lot of players on there now, why do they all play there and not the new game?

Any clarification on these 3/4 versions of the game would be much appreciated--any things you used to find confusing but now make sense to you. Thanks so much for your help, and I hope to play some of you soon!

CAT
 catloyalist

Re: Can someone explain the how the versions work

Postby  Sky95 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:38 am

Hello everybody,

hey

Here's how I provisionally understand it, and if anybody could clarify or correct things for me, I would very much appreciate it:

AoC: the game we all bought on CD, latest patch was 1.0c (or e?), this is the version I played on LAN

At the moment User Patch 1.4 RC is played, which is the version after 1.0c

AoFE: a mod for AoC, very awesome, which Skybox would later make into a full expansion pack. I never played this.

that's right except for the part with skybox. If I'm right it was a privat project of cysion, with some helpers.

AoEIIHD: the first release by Skybox on Steam, with an ingame multiplayer lobby (which somehow worked through Steam?). I bought this when it came out but my computer couldn't run it, and then I forgot the pass and email to that Steam account, which is probably why I'm confused.

100% correct

AoEIIHD - AOFE expansion: so what I'm supposing is, the Skybox AoFE wasn't really an expansion to AoC, but rather an expansion to the HD edition already out on Steam. But it uses the same lobby system, even if its games aren't visible to vanilla AoEIIHD players, and vice versa.

AoFE was first for AoC. when HD came out they made it an official expansion. The version for the old AoC is outdated.

So my question, sparked by a seeming lack of players at times on the AoFe HD lobbies, is which version of the game do people really play, in tournaments and so on and just for fun? Is the AoFE forum on this site for the mod of AoC, or for HD AoFE? Will people eventually all move to the latest edition (HD AoFE)?

Tournaments are mostly played at voobly. There are little tournaments for HD but not that much and not with that much prize money. For example at the moment there is the nations cup, where the best players of the world fight in their teams for a a prize pool of 30.000$ if i remember correctly(or even more?), which is split between the first 16 players.

Also, is Voobly used for AoEIIHD vanilla, or just for the AOFE mod of the original AoC? If there are a lot of players on there now, why do they all play there and not the new game?

Voobly is for the old AoC and AoFE. The community is still really big and they play the old one cause the new one has a changed game engine, which causes the game to lag even in single player. if you never played the old version you don't recognise, but if you did for a long time you gonna see that there is a 0.5-1 sec delay. Also Voobly has way more features, supporting multi monitors multiple mods, streaming etc.
For a good example look at this (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=103016). A interview with a translator to interview a chinese top player with stream.

Any clarification on these 3/4 versions of the game would be much appreciated--any things you used to find confusing but now make sense to you. Thanks so much for your help, and I hope to play some of you soon!

I hope everything is clear now ;) if not feel free to ask.

EDIT: Another reason pro old AoC is that there are many recordings, out which you can learn or which you can watch for nostalgic reasons, to say how old legends played 2001 or so. :P
<[TyRanT]RD_ChampioN would like to be your friend. Anfrage akzeptieren>
 Sky95

1602 (51%)

Re: Can someone explain the how the versions work "after Sky

Postby  rmcoo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:21 am

Most popular/ played version is AoC with Userpatch played on voobly with huge tournaments. Voobly provides AoFE too but its not popular.
<__TyRaeL__> u sux
<__TyRaeL__> gay waller
<Dobbs351> Oh you are still here? Go play XXXRay or Dracont they are more of your level
 rmcoo

2000 (51%)

Postby  scripter64 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Here's a partial history of these game versions, and how they came to be:

Aug 2000: Ensemble Studios released The Conquerors Expansion (AoC).
Aug 2001: Ensemble released their final public update as AoC v1.0c.
2001-2002: Ensemble had been working on an AoC v1.0d update that would have included some additional balance adjustments and other improvements, including several larger map sizes. Unfortunately, the v1.0d update was apparently cancelled by Microsoft Studios at the time, possibly to refocus on Age of Mythology.
Dec 2003: Release of the AoC v1.0d update. This was unrelated to ES' cancelled update and would serve as the foundation for v1.0e.
Feb 2004: Release of the anti-cheat AoC v1.0e update to improve competitive multiplayer games. I believe these fixes and more would later be integrated into the Voobly anti-cheat.
Sep 2008: Release of the VegMod. This was another great development, enabling windowed mode support, bug fixes, and more for AoC.
Late 2009: The Boekabart aoe2wide patch was developed, which made gameplay on newer widescreen monitors a lot easier.
Feb 2011: The UserPatch (UP) project began to simply fix some of the long existing bugs and issues in AoC. Probably thousands of test games were played and hundreds of MBs of failure logs were created. Reports and recs from people all over the AoC community were collected and researched for fixes.
Mid 2011: Cysion began research for adding new civilizations to the game, and the Forgotten Empires (AoFE) project was started for AoC.
Dec 2011: The game expansion system was added to UP v1.1 Beta. Cysion provided feedback and details about which parts of the game need to be extensible, including civ details, per-civ scout control, localization settings, and more. Kor's existing and operational full conversion, Age of Chivalry: Hegemony, was used to test the core expansion system to ensure the stability of side-by-side game expansions in a single game installation folder.
Dec 2012: Release of AoFE as an expansion on UP v1.2 Beta, including 5 new civilizations, new techs, and balance, and all of the core enhancements from UP. Several of the strongest UserPatch AIs at the time were included with AoFE, including Barbarian and The Horde.
200X-2012: ES_MattP from Ensemble attempted to find a way to update The Conquerors Expansion, in order to both finish what he had started and to improve the game even further. This finally resulted in the start of the Age of Empires II HD (AoKHD) project after years of his time and effort. Unfortunately, according to rumors on AoKH, he was not permitted to finish what he had started and the AoKHD project continued without him and his optimizations.
Mar 2013: Release of UP v1.2 for AoC, which was the first public release, including support for stronger and more flexible AIs, multiple HD resolutions, native widescreen support, improved networking, and more.
Apr 2013: Release of AoKHD on Steam, developed by Hidden Path, with support for Steam multiplayer and Steam Workshop mods.
May 2013: Release of AoFE v2.2 for AoC, which would be the final release.
Jun 2013: Release of UP v1.3 for AoC with additional fixes, along with enhancements for the scenario editor.
Jul 2013: The extensible spectator system concept for AoC was developed for the upcoming UserPatch v1.4.
Jul 2013: Skybox replaced Hidden Path as the developer for AoKHD.
Aug 2013: Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten (AoF) was announced for Steam.
Aug 2013: Release of UserPatch v1.4 RC (2013/08/31-03:00:00) with the extensible spectator system for offline play, direct TCP/IP, LAN, Gameranger, and all other communities. This version was ported for use with Voobly's mod system, and Voobly soon extended their client with great new features to take full advantage of the spectator system.
Nov 2013: Release of AoF on Steam, along with AoKHD v3.0, developed by both the AoFE Team and Skybox, including new campaigns unavailable on AoFE, their own spectator mode, a treaty mode, a larger map size, and more.
Jun 2014: Latest release of UserPatch v1.4 RC (2014/06/13-00:00:00).
Jun 2014: Latest release of AoKHD+AoF patch v3.6a.

Current version state:
Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion (AoC) v1.0c + v1.4 RC
Age of Empires II: Forgotten Empires (AoFE) v2.2
- offline, direct TCP/IP, LAN, Voobly, Gameranger, rusaoc, theconquerors.es, etc.

Age of Empires II HD (AoKHD) v3.6a
Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten (AoF) v3.6a
- Steam exclusive online and offline
Last edited by  scripter64 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.
 scripter64

Postby  Promiskuitiv » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks scripter, that's an awesome summary of events! :)
 Promiskuitiv

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  rmcoo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Holy crap that must have taked lots of work
<__TyRaeL__> u sux
<__TyRaeL__> gay waller
<Dobbs351> Oh you are still here? Go play XXXRay or Dracont they are more of your level
 rmcoo

2000 (51%)

Postby  RoR_BzH » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:12 pm

the 1.0e "final" patch was released in 2005, or maybe even earlier
 RoR_BzH

1960 (55%)

Postby  scripter64 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:50 am

Added, thanks!
 scripter64

Postby  Genette » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:44 am

From my memory: 1.0d December 2003 / 1.0e February 2004. Boekabart's widescreen patch was released in late 2009 (googled it).

This timeline is getting pretty good :)
 Genette

1624 (49%)

Postby  CondoM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:07 am

Yeah 1.0D and 1.0E were both released on bskzone as far as I remember, so definitely around 2004.
Mr_Yo on FeAge
  Mr_Yo wrote:
i wish him hit by a meteor
 CondoM

Next

Return to General AoFE Discussion