Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

Voobly DDoS

Discussion related to Random Map games
Advertisement from Google 

Voobly DDoS

Postby  Salva » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Hey guys,

I make it quick. So I had some problems with my router/internet connections. While fixing it I found in the logfile of my router this:
"DoS(Denial of Service) Attack UDP Loop found"
At times these attacks I was playing AoC on voobly and indeed in my memory I was dropping and my internet connection was cut.

First I checked if my ISP or Router has problems - nada
Then if I have some virus/trojan/rootkit(Although its windows...you never know) - nada

Now, I am not a tech guru nor a hacker but it made me thinking: You need open your port and do port forwarding to play on voobly, which makes you possibly vurnable to attacks or UDP / TCP-Fin-Scans? The fact that my internet only drops while playing or being online on voobly kinda supports this theory.

Any tech-IT-whitehat here arround to help clear this up for me?
Thjaaanks and pls dont hack me ty.
 Salva

Re: Voobly DDoS

Postby  Sieter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:49 pm

try programs, anti-malware, avast, ccleaner, use this, if nots help the best whay sometimes is reinstal and restart everywthing.
"memento mori"
- Everyday, every time, try always life, like this day will be ur last. Love people. Remember about death, she will never forget about You.
 Sieter
Warning Level 1

Postby  drmrboss » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:46 am

14 Feb 2018, 18:49 GMT » Sieter wrote:
try programs, anti-malware, avast, ccleaner, use this, if nots help the best whay sometimes is reinstal and restart everywthing.

Why reinstall and restart? Why not buy new!
 drmrboss

Postby  Salva » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 am

These answers like "buy a new pc" or just reinstall windows arent helpful.
It doesnt matther, if I do these things or not. If my port has to be open in order to
play on voobly, then any attacker will return at any time given again.

And just to make it clear: It is not only affecting me. Everyone has to do portforwarding(mostly automatic
with voobly's diagnotic) or open ports. So potentially anybody who play AoC on voobly is vurnable to attacks
and hacks.

If I am wrong, then correct me please. But at this point I cant explain these DDoS attackes, which happend.
When I using linux with a strong firewall/vpn these problems doesnt occur.
 Salva

Postby  CZ_Mango » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Arent the ports already being used by aoc/voobly so they cant be used at the same time for a potential attack?
 CZ_Mango

2000 (63%)

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  Xtasy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Does it happen as well, if you use another port than udp16000 (router and voobly has to be the same port configured)? What router is it? Maybe it just thinks, that the data is a dos.
When I think about it, that could be a nice way to disconnect the opponent when losing. On the other hand a dos attack can also happen on closed ports to overwhelm the router.
 Xtasy

Return to Random Map Discussion