Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

Rarely seen arena tactic. 100% success rate. Great for noobs

Take part in AoE2HD discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Advertisement from Google 

Rarely seen arena tactic. 100% success rate. Great for noobs

Postby  morley1985 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share with you a tactic that I have been using on Arena games that, so far, has 100% success rate. So far I am 17xx ELO on HD so it may be a strictly low level tactic. It involves Fast castling and using a siege tower to pop 10 crossbow men over the wall to ruin the opponents eco. I’d be interested to hear what you think and even more interested in seeing whether a high level player can achieve the same level of success in more competitive games. Link to the example of it in action is below

https://youtu.be/MeaBsW423Tg

Cheers
 morley1985

Re: Rarely seen arena tactic. 100% success rate. Great for n

Postby  Manu » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Well, i'm about 1750 on HD too and do sometimes thing like that.
But it's super slow, and ennemy just have to wall and should have a good enough eco to defend easily by the time you do that.
 Manu

Postby  DraXieN » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Why would it be that slow? If you do OKish BO you can do like 30/31+2 with double range in feudal, immediate siege workshop in castle and you can be inside enemy base by min 19, that's faster than any other aggresion on Arena (except trush). If you have perfect bo and brit/maya/aztec/ethiopians you can be inside between 17 - 17:30 very likely (that's really not the case on 17x HD though).
However, ANY well done strategy will work on 17x HD with any maps, any civs. If you try this vs any good player (let's say 17x+ voobly), he should scout this, he makes 1 mangonel, kill your army, having far better eco and win. So this can't really work on higher level, unless you catch enemy absolutely off guard (that's really unlikely) and even if you harass eco and kill 5 vills you will have hard time to catch in eco. This strat can work very well vs 1 tc monk rush, but that's not what you were reffering to and it's very situational.
TheKkeif » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:07 pm

I'll come on Thursday, what time in Moscow?
 DraXieN

Postby  morley1985 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes that’s why i thought at a higher level it would most likely be spotted and smashed with a mangonel. It’s a very wood intensive strat which could potentially leave you short of wood for TC’s for quite a while. I agree, I don’t think it’s that slow. It works in lower level games because generally the opponent is just concentrating on booming or trying to get enough stone together to build a castle at you walls. But yes at a higher level I expect it’s a totally different story altogether. Problem is, it’s quite risky and generally I think it annoyed people when I did it where as if they kept calm and got some good counters together I would have had a tough time catching up with eco.
 morley1985

Postby  AlphaAndOmega » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Worth a try.
 AlphaAndOmega

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  morley1985 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Yeah definitely, at lower levels like me (1700 HD) it’s certainly catches people off guard
 morley1985

Postby  JoshuaR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:23 am

I say use a ram to take out a wall and leave the crossbows inside the siege tower and just run around his base until he resigns due to your psychological warfare.
 JoshuaR

Postby  DFH_Risque » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:05 am

@edie my new strat I moarina kk?
<[LoS]miguelzin> I have to sleep
<[_SY_]Yo__> kk have fun bro
<[_SY_]Yo__> wish u dream of juan and nicov kissing together
 DFH_Risque
Top Player

Postby  morley1985 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:41 am

I have done a variation of this actually where I use rams instead of towers as I didn’t realise the host was playing the original game when I started the build 11 was a team game and took him out pretty quickly whilst my team capitalised and gave me the chance to build up before attacking again. That worked well. I think basically if you’re playing against someone who just want to boom it works a treat with either towers or rams. Before attacking, no matter how you do it, if you get through their walls they are normally unprotected.
 morley1985

Return to General AoE2HD Discussion