Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

Masters of Arena 5

Battle of Africa

The Legacy Cup 2

Recurring Series

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Users currently online
Staff (1)
»  robo
Members (27)
Guests (107)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Auto downloadedFind »

Ads

Ethopians free halbs annoying

Take part in AoE2HD discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Advertisement from Google 

Re: Ethopians free halbs annoying

Postby  wAkKo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:28 pm

30 Nov 2017, 14:07 GMT » misafeco wrote:
  30 Nov 2017, 13:07 GMT » wAkKo wrote:
  30 Nov 2017, 12:23 GMT » misafeco wrote:
Meso civs completely own them (eagles>anything Ethiopians can train). They don't even get champion to counter eagles. Malians and Goths also own them with the extra infantry pierce armor units. Briton archers outrange them and range>rate of fire. I think they also have problems against good CA civs like Huns and Magyars. Add Berbers because of the Camel Archer. That's already 9 civilizations. If I'm not wrong, they were already nerfed in recent patches. If you also take halbs away they will simply suck.
Fun fact: Ethiopians only won 4 games (out of 15) so far in the King of the Desert tournament. 2 vs. Malay, 1 vs. Vietnamese and 1 vs. Burmese.

Shotels work good vs ew, and they run fast too. I've even tested them vs goth husks / champs combos, and they do pretty ok.

The weakness is the low hp and their resistance to ranged units.

Let's say they're OK vs ew, but terrible vs. ew+archer/slinger combo. All your opponent needs to do is to micro.
Against champs they do well (higher attack/lower HP cancels each other out) but certainly not cost effective as they cost almost 2x as much gold. Goths can spam husk/champ mixed and easily beat your arb/shotel army while using less gold.
Shotels are amazing against trash I'll give them that.

I agree. Just wanted to point out that they do have an unit that can deal with ews, which was the original statement. If u add slingers, plums or arbalest they will die for sure.
 wAkKo

2000 (59%)

Postby  Timotheus_ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Thats why they also have SO with torsions and siege engineers
00:34:48 PMR_Keif: you
00:34:50 PMR_Keif: smurf/
00:34:52 PMR_Keif: ?
00:34:54 Timotheus_: 2
00:35:02 PMR_Keif: 1
00:35:06 PMR_Keif: you smurf
 Timotheus_

2065 (49%)

Postby  Hearttt » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Nerf ethiopians plez too strong civ
 Hearttt

Postby  squeak » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 pm

or just stop playing the new civs?
00:48:40 Sobek_: sec
00:48:40 Sobek_: earthquake
 squeak

1904 (48%)

Postby  SouFire » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 pm

Certainly a civ with strong range units and free anti cavalry upgrades plus extra resources when reaching the next age is just too much for free but come on man all the new civs are totally OP, the nerf on aok and aoc civs make the new civs even more powerful, if you are playing the expansions then pick civ it is a free world.
 SouFire

1873 (52%)

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  Tocaraca » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 am

Ethiopians have the worst Heavy Camels in the game, I would almost never make them over Halberdiers.

Ethiopians aren't really an OP civ.

Most balance issues are from unique units like Arambai, Camel Archers, KARAMBITS and Condottieri.
 Tocaraca

1570 (46%)

Postby  teutonic_tanks » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:25 am

Tocaraca wrote:
Ethiopians have the worst Heavy Camels in the game, I would almost never make them over Halberdiers.

Most balance issues are from unique units like Arambai, Camel Archers, KARAMBITS and Condottieri.

Karambits arent that OP, in TGs they are decent, but killable with a cobo of units. In 1v1 they can be extremly strong, but you need to have at least 3+ castles and survive until imp, which isnt that easy (like KotD shows 11), kinda like mongols.
 teutonic_tanks

Postby  HyunAOP » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:20 am

Because they save 510f 690g?

Why have other civs consistently beaten Ethiopians then? :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/8f9GddQ.png

I guess if people don't want to make units that also counter halbs upon entering imp then that's on them. I also don't think people always pull out the SO+Torsion in 1v1s either, it's way too expensive.

They also don't get HC/Champion/Bloodlines/Platebarding so a full Siege Workshop line makes sense and it's unique coz no other civs have it (kind of like spanish FU trash). Ethiopians have a lot of glass cannon like units that can die super easily namely the shotel warrior so the free halb + full siege line and better arbs is imo fine.

It's really handy in TG situation vs Battle Elephants, I only think Ethiopians need the following change.

The free food and gold staggered per age (food/gold)

- 50/50 feudal, 100/100 castle, 150/150 imp

- Rebalance the Archer firing rate

Worst case scenario if free halb is that bad. Just make pikemen free and halb with 50-75% upgrade cost entirely. Turks have had free hussar for years and that's a pretty good early imperial raiding unit granted turks options in imp in 1v1 is not too great after gold is dry but they are fine in certain TG maps and even 1v1 arena. There are way more OP early game things to nerf from other civs but this is the one you chose? :lol:
 HyunAOP

Postby  HyunAOP » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:21 am

30 Nov 2017, 23:00 GMT » Tocaraca wrote:

When Karambits can even outspam and outkill Hand Cannoneers, you have a problem there.
 HyunAOP

Postby  misafeco » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:54 am

30 Nov 2017, 15:28 GMT » wAkKo wrote:
I agree. Just wanted to point out that they do have an unit that can deal with ews, which was the original statement. If u add slingers, plums or arbalest they will die for sure.

You're right about that. Just watched Vinchester vs. Stark 1st match (Ethiopians vs. Incas) and Vinchester indeed tried Shotels to counter Stark's Eagle Warriors. It kind of worked until the Slingers arrived.
 misafeco

PreviousNext

Return to General AoE2HD Discussion