Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.
 Main Menu

ForumsSearch »

Masters of Arena 5

Battle of Africa

The Legacy Cup 2

Recurring Series

AoC Recorded Games

AoE2HD Recorded Games

AoFE Recorded Games

Major Past Tournaments

Users currently online
Members (11)
»  Ator
Guests (105)

AoC Clans Add yours »

Links

Auto downloadedFind »

Ads

Ethopians free halbs annoying

Take part in AoE2HD discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Advertisement from Google 

Re: Ethopians free halbs annoying

Postby  asdfasdfasdf1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:59 pm

Karambits are easily the most broken and underrated unit in the game. They beat goth -35% cheaper infantry spam, they beat HCs, they completely destroy elite mangudai or camel archers (even if you group them up as tight as possible). They even beat fully upgraded paladins in a 4:1 ratio (which is roughly the same cost but 2x population)

The only units they can't efficiently beat are elephants, teutonic knights, samurais, cataphracts and boyars. The only thing that really limits them is creation speed, which is not a good thing IMO.
 asdfasdfasdf1

Postby  _Melkor » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:24 pm

01 Dec 2017, 00:21 GMT » _HyunA wrote:
  30 Nov 2017, 23:00 GMT » Tocaraca wrote:
Ethiopians have the worst Heavy Camels in the game, I would almost never make them over Halberdiers.

Ethiopians aren't really an OP civ.

Most balance issues are from unique units like Arambai, Camel Archers, KARAMBITS and Condottieri.

When Karambits can even outspam and outkill Hand Cannoneers, you have a problem there.

That's not the problem with them, the problem is that they outmatch infantry and cavalry.
The whole half pop thing makes them an interesting anti archer UU. They are OP because in addition to being designed well for anti archer they kill everything else too.
 _Melkor

2252 (55%)

Postby  HyunAOP » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:09 pm

01 Dec 2017, 13:24 GMT » _Melkor wrote:
  01 Dec 2017, 00:21 GMT » _HyunA wrote:
  30 Nov 2017, 23:00 GMT » Tocaraca wrote:
Ethiopians have the worst Heavy Camels in the game, I would almost never make them over Halberdiers.

Ethiopians aren't really an OP civ.

Most balance issues are from unique units like Arambai, Camel Archers, KARAMBITS and Condottieri.

When Karambits can even outspam and outkill Hand Cannoneers, you have a problem there.

That's not the problem with them, the problem is that they outmatch infantry and cavalry.
The whole half pop thing makes them an interesting anti archer UU. They are OP because in addition to being designed well for anti archer they kill everything else too.

I was just pointing out one issue for the Karambits. I have many more but you practically summed up the important parts.
 HyunAOP

Postby  HyunAOP » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:19 pm

30 Nov 2017, 17:03 GMT » Timotheus_ wrote:
Thats why they also have SO with torsions and siege engineers

Can you realistically afford that even with free halb though in a 1v1 on even footing? It's more expensive than Paladin 1v1 :think:
 HyunAOP

Postby  JoshuaR » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:33 am

I have yet to see karambits win anything in all the streams I've watched or games I've played. Someone link me to the karambit power!!!
 JoshuaR

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  AlphaAndOmega » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:24 pm

01 Dec 2017, 14:19 GMT » _HyunA wrote:
  30 Nov 2017, 17:03 GMT » Timotheus_ wrote:
Thats why they also have SO with torsions and siege engineers

Can you realistically afford that even with free halb though in a 1v1 on even footing? It's more expensive than Paladin 1v1 :think:

I make room for it on Arena versus archer type units haha. So OP! I mean if Cysion will nerf Korean SO range but leave this in...

I'm not one to suggest nerfs but let's just say I really enjoy playing with Ethiopians versus other civs. I don't mind a few very good civs.
 AlphaAndOmega

Postby  Tocaraca » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:40 pm

I tried Karambit Warriors in castle age once. Completely destroyed my opponent, all of his units and buildings got swarmed and killed. It was painful. I felt bad afterwards.

What's the point of the unit anyway? We already have a glass cannon unit, the Shotel Warrior, why did they add karambits? What are they supposed to counter? Infantry? Cavalry? Archers? Siege? They seen to counter all of those... How are you going to balance a unit like this? Either it's stupidly OP, or it's completely useless.

Anyway, Ethiopians are not OP. If they were, they would have done much better than they have in KotD. I don't get why people are asking for nerfs? IMO balance changes should only be done if they are essential. Ethiopians certainly don't break the game. They should be left as they are, at least, for now. It might change in the future.
 Tocaraca

1570 (46%)

Postby  nimanoe » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:13 pm

02 Dec 2017, 19:40 GMT » Tocaraca wrote:
I don't get why people are asking for nerfs? IMO balance changes should only be done if they are essential.

Like boosting the Vietnamese? :lol: :lol:
LEO CLAN IS BEST CLAN
 nimanoe

1513 (45%)

Postby  Tocaraca » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Yes nimanoe exactly :) 11
 Tocaraca

1570 (46%)

Postby  Tocaraca » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:43 pm

And then 5.7 came and free Halberdier was removed from Ethiopians :D