Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

Why Scorpions > Mangonels in Huns war

Take part in AoE2HD discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Advertisement from Google 

Postby  Tocaraca » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 am

So this one is a bit of a clickbait title, because it's always situational.

In HD/WololoKingdoms I personally think that, against a large group of Cavalry Archers, it's better to make Scorpions than to make Mangonels.

Think about it. In the expansions, Scorpions have 7 pierce armor compared to the 6 pierce armor of a Mangonel, and against Cavalry Archers it makes a lot of difference, since scorps take only 1 damage per hit whereas mangos take 2 damage. Mangos are also much easier to micro around than scorps are, especially against a fast unit like a cav archer. What do you guys think?
 Tocaraca

1559 (46%)

Re: Why Scorpions > Mangonels in Huns war

Postby  Euler_ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:26 am

:crazy:
 Euler_

1751 (59%)

Postby  Tocaraca » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 am

21 Jan 2018, 04:26 GMT » Euler_ wrote:
:crazy:

Tocaraca

1559 (46%)

Postby  SouFire » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:56 am

Hummm scorp and mangonels are the best combo vs a fast moving unit such as Ca or vs a guy with good micro using crossbow, the problem is that they move so slow to defend or to push and can be easily destroyed by few kths or insane micro.

Stop thinking in one single unit and mix them, then you will learn he basics of the army composition.
 SouFire

1873 (52%)

Postby  Tocaraca » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:09 am

21 Jan 2018, 05:56 GMT » SouFire wrote:
Hummm scorp and mangonels are the best combo vs a fast moving unit such as Ca or vs a guy with good micro using crossbow, the problem is that they move so slow to defend or to push and can be easily destroyed by few kths or insane micro.

Stop thinking in one single unit and mix them, then you will learn he basics of the army composition.

Uhhh when did I say that you could just mass Scorpions?

I implied that Scorpions are a better choice than Mangonels in castle age against Cavalry Archers. Not that you just mass scorps...

Read the thread before you comment plz. I'm not a 12xx
 Tocaraca

1559 (46%)

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  futhark1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 am

This is a claim with full certainity.

I personally think that it's better to make Scorpions than to make Mangonels.

This is the opinion of a 15xx player, who also happens to be a pathetic liar and a delusional lunatic.

So which one is it?

I've read your previous posts and they also are full of anecdotal evidence and logical flaws. Why are you continuously trying to push an agenda on counter units and balance changes altough the expert opinion rejects its functionality both theoretically and practically?
 futhark1

Postby  Tocaraca » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:57 am

21 Jan 2018, 06:31 GMT » futhark1 wrote:

It's a clickbait title... so, it is the second one. I’m asking for other people’s opinions. Me being uncivil in the past doesn’t mean you can’t be civil here.
Last edited by  Tocaraca on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Tocaraca

1559 (46%)

Postby  spen27 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:01 am

Yes because scorpions clearly do more damage to a group of cavalry archers than a mangonel. Why make a mangonel or two to push back cav archers when you can make two scorpions? I’d run away if I saw scorpions - it’s not like I’d run straight in and kill it 11

Also I’m curious to know...why the strange fetish for scorpions? Anything you want to get out in the open? We are here for you.

Edited by robo: Please be respectful to other users
 spen27

Postby  livrodedaniel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:35 am

21 Jan 2018, 06:31 GMT » futhark1 wrote:

I personally think that it's better to make Scorpions than to make Mangonels.

This is the opinion of a 15xx player, who also happens to be a pathetic liar and a delusional lunatic.

So which one is it?

I've read your previous posts and they also are full of anecdotal evidence and logical flaws. Why are you continuously trying to push an agenda on counter units and balance changes altough the expert opinion rejects its functionality both theoretically and practically?

Please, shut up.
 livrodedaniel

Postby  Tocaraca » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:37 am

21 Jan 2018, 07:01 GMT » spen27 wrote:
Yes because scorpions clearly do more damage to a group of cavalry archers than a mangonel /sarcasm

Scorpions attack ~67% faster than Mangonels. This means that the 12 damage of a Scorpion can be seen more like 20 damage compared to the 40 of a Mangonel. That’s half the damage. However, scorps cost about half the resources of mangos. Therefore they basically cancel out, and, 2 scorps = 1 mango in both cost and overall damage output.

And this is just raw theoretical DPS by looking at some numbers. Scorpion projectiles also not only move faster than Mangonel projectiles (~71% faster to be approximate) but also damage a full line, rather than just a moderately-sized area like mangos. This makes scorp projectiles much harder to dodge than mango projectiles.

Scorpions also have a ~17% faster movement speed than Mangonels.

I already mentioned in the topic the biggest factor IMO which is that CA deal twice the damage to mangos than to scorps (2 instead of 1), so Mangonels die in only 25 shots whereas Scorpions take 40; since you can have 2 scorps for about the same price as 1 mango, it’s more like 80 shots for the scorps.

Oh, and Scorpions have less minimum range than Mangonels.

The downsides are that 2 Scorpions take 60 seconds to create whereas 1 Mangonel only takes 46 seconds, scorps lose hard to other Mangonels in combat, and Mangonels deal much more damage to buildings. This is why I said it’s always situational.

If you were to actually think about it, you could easily see that Mangonels are much easier to outmicro with CA than Scorpions are. Not only does my argument make sense theoretically, but my experiences in game (albeit 15-16xx noob games) also prove the same point; 2 mangos get fairly easily picked off by a mass of CA whereas 4 scorps have a lot more potential.

If there are other factors I missed please point them out, I’m trying my best to be less stubborn and less toxic in this community. I haven’t posted in a while and quite frankly arguing with pros continuously makes a fool of myself and I get caught up in my own opinions.
 Tocaraca

1559 (46%)

Next

Return to General AoE2HD Discussion