Switch to full style
Take part in AoE2HD discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Post a reply

Two-Handed Swordsman Discussion

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Why is this unit in the game? How can such a shitty unit have been in the game since release yet nothing has ever been done to make it viable? The whole militia line past m@a is pretty bad but this unit is in a category of its own. It's essentially a trash unit that costs gold. Only civ to ever make it is Malay with forced levy but that's only in super late imp when gold coffers are bone dry.

Personally I think they should buff long swordsman (that unit could be the topic of a whole other discussion) and make it upgradeable to champion without having to research 2HS in between. Is there something about this unit I've missed? Is it ever useful?

Re: Two-Handed Swordsman Discussion

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:05 pm

they look fancy tho

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:29 am

The unit is a necessary bridge between Long Swordsman and Champion. If you're defending against elite eagles and trying to switch into the swordsman line, the Two-Handed Swordsman gives you a chance; if that upgrade wasn't there, and you didn't have 750 food and 350 gold on hand that moment to upgrade straight from Long Swordsman to Champion, you would be stuck with longswords for much longer, and could be killed by the eagles.

2HS also serve the exact same purpose as Champions in the late game, they just do it worse. They still destroy all trash units (except Elite Magyar Huszars and possibly Imperial Skirmishers), counter eagles, and are a good meatshield against Elite Huskarls.

If there was no 2HS upgrade then civs without Champion would only have Long Swordsmen. So Mayans, Huns, Khmer, Ethiopians would all turn into Persians.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 am

13 Feb 2018, 23:29 GMT » Tocaraca wrote:The unit is a necessary bridge between Long Swordsman and Champion. If you're defending against elite eagles and trying to switch into the swordsman line, the Two-Handed Swordsman gives you a chance; if that upgrade wasn't there, and you didn't have 750 food and 350 gold on hand that moment to upgrade straight from Long Swordsman to Champion, you would be stuck with longswords for much longer, and could be killed by the eagles.

2HS also serve the exact same purpose as Champions in the late game, they just do it worse. They still destroy all trash units (except Elite Magyar Huszars and possibly Imperial Skirmishers), counter eagles, and are a good meatshield against Elite Huskarls.

If there was no 2HS upgrade then civs without Champion would only have Long Swordsmen. So Mayans, Huns, Khmer, Ethiopians would all turn into Persians.

Even though some of your points are somewhat valid in theory I can easily cite the number of games I've ever seen someone outside of Malay player actually invest in 2HS: 0 times.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:26 am

13 Feb 2018, 23:38 GMT » SteamKing wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 23:29 GMT » Tocaraca wrote:The unit is a necessary bridge between Long Swordsman and Champion. If you're defending against elite eagles and trying to switch into the swordsman line, the Two-Handed Swordsman gives you a chance; if that upgrade wasn't there, and you didn't have 750 food and 350 gold on hand that moment to upgrade straight from Long Swordsman to Champion, you would be stuck with longswords for much longer, and could be killed by the eagles.

Even though some of your points are somewhat valid in theory I can easily cite the number of games I've ever seen someone outside of Malay player actually invest in 2HS: 0 times.

2HS won me the game in post imp here as turks http://www.voobly.com/match/view/17143850

Now you've seen it once.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:42 pm

14 Feb 2018, 07:26 GMT » Fall wrote:

2HS won me the game in post imp here as turks http://www.voobly.com/match/view/17143850

Now you've seen it once.

Wow I was so wrong guys. This clearly proves 2HS is the best unit in the game. I will make them every game from now on. See you at 2.4k.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Tocaraca 2.0. This time he is even more of a ****. Out now!

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 pm

14 Feb 2018, 13:53 GMT » GmanStreams wrote:Tocaraca 2.0. This time he is even more of a ****. Out now!

Sorry if I'm intruding in your safe space.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Two-Handed Swordsman it's rly s hitly thats tru, but looks after up chamion, chaamp is very useful unit.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:40 pm

14 Feb 2018, 13:42 GMT » SteamKing wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 07:26 GMT » Fall wrote:

Now you've seen it once.

Wow I was so wrong guys. This clearly proves 2HS is the best unit in the game. I will make them every game from now on. See you at 2.4k.

Thank you, it's rare to find someone who can admit they were wrong. Clearly I misjudged you and I'm sure you can overcome your lack of knowledge about the game given enough time. I'm routing for you bud. :D
Post a reply