Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

Two-Handed Swordsman Discussion

Take part in AoE2HD discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Advertisement from Google 

Re: Two-Handed Swordsman Discussion

Postby  SteamKing » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:31 am

16 Feb 2018, 04:18 GMT » Tocaraca wrote:
  16 Feb 2018, 04:01 GMT » SteamKing wrote:
2HS doesn't even do that well vs halbs if you consider the resources invested in the respective units.

You overvalue gold.

2HS destroy halbs. Even if they're not gold efficient when comparing market buying prices, they're still incredibly effective.

However, I agree people would almost never go 2HS to counter trash, if they didn't have the Champion to upgrade to. But that isn't a balance concern. I don't understand why it would be. That's not the only use of the swordsman line.

The only viable scenario to invest in 2HS I guess would be vs eagles but even then every meso civ has a unit that hard counters 2HS.

Every meso civ has a unit that hard counters Champions too, I guess that makes Champions not viable as well? And all Paladin civs have a unit that hard counter Halberdiers too, I guess that makes Halberdiers not viable too?

If you go 2HS vs goths you are just plain stupid since they have to invest less resources into the upgrade of the unit in question.

Mayans and some other civs on open maps have to go for 2HS against Goths Elite Huskarls. Goths obviously have a big advantage, but 2HS is the best that Mayans can do, and if the Mayans player already has a big advantage over the Goths player, the Mayans player has to put 2HS in front of their plumes to stop their army from getting overrun by a much smaller mass of Elite Huskarls (otherwise the Goths player could stage a comeback simply by hanging on for a while and getting some husks).

Gold is objectively the most valuable resource in aoe2. A game can be lost in an instant if you don't invest it wisely while wood is realtively abundant on most maps and can be converted to food. Stone is in a category of its own since it's only used for structures.

And once again we face the problem that every unit has a counter unit which has a counter unit etc. There is seldom a case where civ's have such clear defined answers to deal with the inferior 2HS as the meso civs (slinger, plumes, jaguar warriors as I'm sure you understood). And for the case of mayans vs goths which you mentioned you assume that mayans are already ahead at which point literally any unit can be good. Maybe even eagles are sufficient to deal with the huskarls then since, again, you are ahead and can afford to take a slightly worse trade with the eagles vs the lightly armored huskarls. Especially since mayans get +40hp which more than nullifies the miniscule attack bonus huskarls have vs eagles.
 SteamKing

Postby  SteamKing » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:34 am

16 Feb 2018, 04:24 GMT » Tocaraca wrote:
That you even dare compare 2HS to cavalier shows what little knowledge you have in terms of the strength of the different units in this game.

No you misunderstand. I compare the Two-Handed Swordsman's relative strength to the Champion to the Cavalier's relative strength to the Paladin.

I'm saying the comparison between the 2HS and the Cavalier is the same as the comparison to the Champion and the Paladin. Not exactly the same but similar

Also no need to tell me that I have "little knowledge," it makes your argument weaker as you're resorting to attacking me rather than just addressing the point directly.

I'm sorry if you feel attacked but no matter in which sense you are making this comparison you are just plain wrong
 SteamKing

Postby  SteamKing » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:40 am

I'm a bit drunksao I reserve the right to retract any of the recent statements i've made
 SteamKing

Postby  Tocaraca » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Lol I’m not going to bother arguing with someone who is drunk and is telling me adamantly that I am objectively wrong.
 Tocaraca

1618 (47%)

Postby  asdfasdfasdf1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 pm

im still 80% sure steamking is tocaraca himself
 asdfasdfasdf1

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  Tocaraca » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:46 pm

16 Feb 2018, 15:19 GMT » asdfasdfasdf1 wrote:

Same. He seems exactly like my stubborn side. Multiple people have tried to explain to him why he’s not correct yet he still keeps arguing...

I’m all for balance discussions, but this doesn’t seem like an issue. Even Melkor made fun of the post 11
 Tocaraca

1618 (47%)

Postby  Little_Jacob » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 pm

no joke... that is already very clear althouhg he trying do disguise this..
steamking = tocaraca smurf
 Little_Jacob

Postby  Tocaraca » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:06 pm

16 Feb 2018, 20:38 GMT » Little_Jacob wrote:

no joke... that is already very clear althouhg he trying do disguise this..
steamking = tocaraca smurf

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 Tocaraca

1618 (47%)

Previous

Return to General AoE2HD Discussion