Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

How to improve my level? (1750 Voobly)

Take part in AoC discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Advertisement from Google 

How to improve my level? (1750 Voobly)

Postby  sergioponguta » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Hello guys, after a lot of training i can reach the 1750 ELO rate on voobly, now, I want to climb to 1800/1850+ and I need some advices on what things or aspects I need to work to get better and reach my new goal.

I'm looking for a real good way to improve.

Thanks in advance.

Link to my profile: http://www.voobly.com/profile/view/124073251
If I need to add more information ask for it, please.
 sergioponguta

1872 (50%)

Re: How to improve my level? (1750 Voobly)

Postby  Poxo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 pm

You play, you rewatch, you think and you learn.

#HUNWHOREHATER

#PrayforSet0

#Believe
 Poxo

1929 (47%)

Postby  Rayne » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:34 am

I see that from your matches you play Arabia. Which, I am in a position to offer some suggestions.

There are a lot of things to work on, so I would only list the top 5 as I wouldn't want to overload you (not to mention construct a huge post).

I will assume you also have a decent grasp of eco BO for tactics like drush fc, maa archers, 21 pop and etc. If not, this should be worked on.

1. Understand the Importance of Time

This is the most important element of aoc. Nothing is more important than time because many things are tied to it. A player may be weak for a short time, a mistake that you can exploit will only last for a time, an advantage may only last for a short time, an important unclaimed hill is only unclaimed for so long, losing units carelessly wastes time (usually placed on the defensive if not dead) etc.

At 1750, I don't think you have a strong grasp of this, so this is the place to start imo. You should figure out how to waste as little time as possible when you are playing. I did give some general examples of it above, and if you think of your losses or even wins, something should be found that I believe you understand.

Like maybe your opponent hit Castle Age 1-2 minutes quicker than you and things got difficult, time would be a huge factor of course. Then you just find out what was tied to it. Bad economy control? Idle tc for too long? Produced too many food units which didn't really help you much/wasn't needed? Some to name.

2. Focus on Weaknesses and Make Plans From Them

I remember how I planned when I was around your level. I would ask you to consider how you plan when you play and if it is focused on anything you would consider 'weak'.

In my experience, whatever plans can be considered objectively best must be based on weaknesses, and the more the better. There is not only one way to accomplish this as well, just one reoccuring theme which is something is weak.

Whatever defines weak can be solely based on your perception, so just have confidence in your ability to say what is and is not weak.

When I played, I always took a look at hills, resource positioning (all resources, but usually gold and stone), and whatever enemy was doing and if they just seemed vulnerable somewhere.

Some specific examples could be like maybe they had a huge hill past tc with main gold below it. This would be a heavy strategic point (map weakness as I would call it) and any way I could control the hill benefits me. Whether it is forward, trush, drush maa fwd, and etc are all fine tactics. Whatever I would feel comfortable with, should be done strictly on this weak area.

Recalling a specific (and something of an important game for me) game I had years ago, my opponent was doing some kind of 21 minute Castle Age with xbows and I just caught wind of it. But, I notice they aren't walled and have no tower on gold yet to defend (and just made ranges at 15 minute mark when I had both of mine a minute earlier) and just 3 scouts. Here, it would be good to focus on the tactical and strategic weaknesses which are: no walls, late ranges, no tower defense, small army. I remember having 5 scs, 3 pikes, and some archer/skirms. I attacked 1 minute later (had a close distance as well) and the game was finished at the 17th minute mark.

If you don't focus on whatever is weak and plan against it, your plans won't be very strong in my eyes. This is something you must figure out yourself, I can only give those examples to perhaps help pave the way.

Also, if you don't see anything that is weak with your opponent, I would then just suggest minimizing on how he can take advantage of you. Something always appears in my experience, so you should be on the lookout for error.

3. Assume Your Opponent Sees Everything Wrong with Your Map

This is pretty big to me. It is important that you imagine your opponent knows everything that is wrong with your map and also knows what to do about it, even if he is at home luring deers or never sees your map weaknesses.

The reason is that whatever game you play, you should only take into account the best plans or whatever you consider best. This should make you a better player in time if you are constantly on the lookout for the most effective ways to win (even when you are watching expert games).

4. Understand/Use Hills

This one can't be overstated for Arabia. I know that when I was your level (actually when I was at 1950-2k even), I didn't have a good understanding of hills.

Its quite imperative that you understand how important hills are, because the deadliest plans can come from them (and once king of the hill, sometimes the person is king until the end). Sometimes its placing a castle on them, resources like gold are below the hill (castle on hill is more attractive), or just doing a mangonel push from here and you will have difficulty defending. Forwarding in feudal can be mentioned as well.

I am sure you have some experience from this whether you are aware of it or not. Like you had a huge hill past your tc with main gold + a secondary gold below it, opponent did a forward, and things became difficult. This is an extreme and obvious example, but may prove my point for you the importance of hills.

Whenever you have hills like this, your prime objective in the game should be not allowing opponent to take control of it if possible. Maybe drush maa works for you, maybe drush + ranges at home, maybe trying forward as defensive measure etc, all on how you want to play it.

And then, you just build on your understanding of hills and what to do outside of that... however you see it.

5. Resource Positions

Perhaps a weird-looking last topic, but this and hills are tied to weaknesses for this post. They can also be the opposite, strengths, like when you have back gold, wood, stone (once you have this, you can do pretty much any tactic at will).

But here, it should be focused on how to take advantage of them, because a lot of players don't do this very effectively in my experience. Or if a player knows how to take advantage of bad gold placements for instance, its very limited/misexecuted with some big mistake.

My general rule has been that the sooner you can take advantage of forward golds, or a combination of grouped forward res like 1 gold + 1 stone, 2 golds, 2 stones, and so on, the better (I did make a brief mention of this above in #4).

It doesn't always work out that way though, so you should try and think how you could do it throughout the game if its possible.

Outside of these 5, I would say that see how hills and resource positions apply on the entire map. If you want to get 1800-1900, you can play only by your map or only opponent's map. But if you want to get further, you need to figure out what your opponent will do from your hills and resource placements, while figuring out what to do about his. It has to be both.

Some of this stuff may look weirdly written (is it?), but this is the way I approach aoc. Its important to me that you have some core of your ideas, like weaknesses, and then see how it branches off from there, which is why I made it #2 and not like #5 after I wrote how hills and resource positions can be a weakness. Hills and resource positions would be the branches of weaknesses (can be opposite too, strengths), and other things can be that way as well (as what you want to do about them with drush fc, scouts archers, at the risk of being overly redundant).

I am not sure if this is written well enough for you. If you have some questions about what I wrote, I can answer them.
[14:10]<moremore> nicov playin leblanc account?
[14:10]<moremore> look so noob

[00:50]<[_SY_]Yo__> alex u are till too young too naive to understand that
00:05:09 [_SY_]Yo__: wall ur mama
 Rayne
Top Player

Postby  evisu86 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:44 am

What an excellent post Rayne.. provided that you have time and will for that, you should definitely write more post like this :-)

I have a question for you. What do you think are the main differences (at execution, strategy, tactic level), between different rating ranges, starting let's say from 1600 to 2500 ?
 evisu86

Postby  Mahya » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:04 pm

master rayne is here, i always believe that you a a good coach in aoc .nice to see you here but we need you in voobly again :D
 Mahya

2114 (61%)

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  _Melkor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Buy an older 2k brother who can tell you when there is a hole in your wall.
 _Melkor

2247 (57%)

Postby  glokken » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:49 pm

09 Jan 2018, 14:33 GMT » _Melkor wrote:

Fastest way .
tehhunnter: whites are the best though
 glokken

Postby  sergioponguta » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:54 pm

First to mention, thank you a lot Rayne for that amazing post.

This is a really helpfull post for me. I don't was paying enough attention to that aspects of the game, so now, I will do it, seems to be the good way to go to get better on the game.

Hills are a very interesting mechanic, actually I need to work more on them because they are a very important strategyc/tactic point of the game.

By the way, I need to mention some weaknesses I have found on my game, maybe you can help me with some more advices over these:

1. I'm trying to perfect my Build Orders of everything, the most of them go to castle pretty fast "20-22 mins", so in some cases I had problems when my enemy go full feudal, so idk how to read when my opponent go for full feudal war.

2. I have a big problem in when to make a castle, because I don't know when it hurts to much my economy, maybe now with your suggestion about hill control I will read when to take advantage of it.

3. I'm trying to learn how to fight on imperial age, because that is my worse weakness in my opinion. I think I know every civ on the game, so I can do a good mix of units, but the map control and the raid kill me so fast.

4. When to take the relics in defensive games (I understand this ones like when the feudal war finish and both players go to boom war) and the offensive games (1 tc for one of both players)?. the lack of gold on late imperial age drop a lot of games for me.

5. How to play when you are on economic disadvantage?

6. How to play when you are on military disadvantage?

Maybe some of these questions sounds a little bit silly, but I need to clear my doubts.

Again, thank you.

Hope you can help me with these new questions.

Thanks in advance.

@Poxo, Thanks for your answer, I guess I climbed to 1750 doing that, I'm only looking for a more important topics to focus my attention.

@evisu86, Thanks for the answer.

Idk Where to buy it.
 sergioponguta

1872 (50%)

Postby  _Melkor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:55 pm

On a serious note: if you don't have a good mouse, get one.
 _Melkor

2247 (57%)

Postby  robo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:15 pm

SeemsGood make me 2k plz
 robo

1703 (50%)

Next

Return to General AoC Discussion