Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

AoE1 beta thoughts

Take part in AoC discussions, share strategies and gaming experience
Advertisement from Google 

AoE1 beta thoughts

Postby  teutonic_tanks » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am

Are any of you participating in the aoe1 beta? If yes, then what are your thoughts about it grafics/performance/stability/look/Balance whatever comes in your mind.

I for my part find it still kinda hard to get a game started, cause of randomly spiking pings or stupid ppl who dont understand what random teams means. (also the skill level is pretty low atm 11) But once you're ingame as long as someone isnt a hardocre lagger the performance + look is pretty good. Only thing i dont like is that when you queue units the symbol/number of units you have queued is imo too small. Some balance things still suck a bit, like slingers being a bit too strong and kts being useless after early bronze age (Castle age). Atm it's oksih and they still have a lot of potential to improve, but all together I like the remake.
 teutonic_tanks

Re: AoE1 beta thoughts

Postby  DreamingFighter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:36 am

I find the delay very frustration. Admittedly, it is not as bad as Voobly 1.4 or HD, but still very hard to play comparing to other real-time games such as Starcraft or DotA. Because of that I don't see myself buying the game when it comes out.
 DreamingFighter

Postby  SouFire » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:19 am

So far the only good thing are the graphics, but there is no optimization for the game, to run it a 60 fps i have to zoom in like a 1024x760 res lol, cause at 1080 size it runs very poorly at 17 fps and i can run in the same rig fallout 4 1080p on high+30fps, its insane how bad optimized the game is, other mobas with better graphics and functions don't have the same problem, there is no excuse for it, rts or moba players do not need a 1080 ti to play the game lol.

The game lobby is even worse than the steam one, a lot of random errors to all users and slow like shit.

The balance is crap its the same old thing that it was 20 years ago, right now with micro archers and early axeman rush are unstoppables, i find it hard to believe that they didn't modified a single thing, i was thinking they would add aoe 2 functions like garrison, gates, formations, patrolling, trade and selling options, but no the only thing they added was the automated resources gathering when building store pits or granary.

Since its a windows store game, the exe file and other important files are hidden and protected, which means that it would lack of mods and its a pain in the *** to launch the game in admin mode, the HKs do not save.

The dead animals remain in the grounds forever, you can delete trees with buildings and fish spots with docks lol, there is not enough fish in the waters, there is not enough wood in the maps for a 200 pop game, the resource distribution remain exactly the same than the original which was designed for only 50 pop.

I am very disappointed with it, because the aoe 2 DE will be the same thing but with aoe 2 data, also how do they pretend to attract new players if the engine is the same limited thing than 20 years ago, if they don't improve it there wont be future for it and there is no skylabs to blame anymore.
 SouFire

1873 (52%)

Postby  Nicov » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:31 am

03 Feb 2018, 02:19 GMT » SouFire wrote:
So far the only good thing are the graphics, but there is no optimization for the game, to run it a 60 fps i have to zoom in like a 1024x760 res lol, cause at 1080 size it runs very poorly at 17 fps and i can run in the same rig fallout 4 1080p on high+30fps, its insane how bad optimized the game is, other mobas with better graphics and functions don't have the same problem, there is no excuse for it, rts or moba players do not need a 1080 ti to play the game lol.

The game lobby is even worse than the steam one, a lot of random errors to all users and slow like shit.

The balance is crap its the same old thing that it was 20 years ago, right now with micro archers and early axeman rush are unstoppables, i find it hard to believe that they didn't modified a single thing, i was thinking they would add aoe 2 functions like garrison, gates, formations, patrolling, trade and selling options, but no the only thing they added was the automated resources gathering when building store pits or granary.

Since its a windows store game, the exe file and other important files are hidden and protected, which means that it would lack of mods and its a pain in the *** to launch the game in admin mode, the HKs do not save.

The dead animals remain in the grounds forever, you can delete trees with buildings and fish spots with docks lol, there is not enough fish in the waters, there is not enough wood in the maps for a 200 pop game, the resource distribution remain exactly the same than the original which was designed for only 50 pop.

I am very disappointed with it, because the aoe 2 DE will be the same thing but with aoe 2 data, also how do they pretend to attract new players if the engine is the same limited thing than 20 years ago, if they don't improve it there wont be future for it and there is no skylabs to blame anymore.

I hope everything that you said is false, otherwise I won't waste a single cent on this 11

So far I have only watched some minutes of memb streaming the beta test and the game looked very laggy. Just like HD edition. No thanks.
[17:58] [_SY_]Yo__ says:
hey ur mom flying on the sky check it out

[03:56] [_SY_]Yo__ says:
[13:34] TheByeByeMan says: tell me if ur up for 1v1

[03:57] [_SY_]Yo__ says:
i am pretending afk

[14:56] [_SY_]Yo__ says:
gimme ur map hack

[14:56] [_SY_]Yo__ says:
motherfuc ker
 Nicov
Top 1v1 player

2000 (59%)

Postby  Tocaraca » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:29 am

Who even cares? AoE2 obviously > AoE1, it's not like we're suddenly all going to go back to AoE1 just because it has been remastered. Everyone here loves AoE2 (or if you don't, I'm sorry for your loss) and will most likely just keep playing that.

I also don't see the point in AoE2 DE. We already have so much community split (Steam, Voobly AoC, Voobly WK) and the game's graphics are already fine, I don't see the need to remaster the game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
 Tocaraca

1618 (47%)

Advertisement from Google 

Re:

Postby  DreamingFighter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:47 am

03 Feb 2018, 03:29 GMT » Tocaraca wrote:
Who even cares? AoE2 obviously > AoE1, it's not like we're suddenly all going to go back to AoE1 just because it has been remastered. Everyone here loves AoE2 (or if you don't, I'm sorry for your loss) and will most likely just keep playing that.

I also don't see the point in AoE2 DE. We already have so much community split (Steam, Voobly AoC, Voobly WK) and the game's graphics are already fine, I don't see the need to remaster the game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I don't agree with most of what you say here.
"The silent majority" play several games to different extent. My friends and I play HD, Starcraft and DotA (and possibly other RPG and/or shooter games). Even if I don't play much, I can buy the game just for old time's sake (assuming it is good enough or as good as HD compared to Voobly 1.4).
It will be several years until AoE2DE comes out, by that time this game would need seriously upgrading and extensions. As far as I know at this moment this game is out of new ideas already, so developers would have little ways to make money out of it.
 DreamingFighter

Postby  T-West » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:51 am

Multiplayer performance feels very bad to me, similar to HD where 1v1's are kind of playable, TG's have constant lag, and the game likes to crash. It's not AoM:EE levels of awful, but it certainly is unpleasant to play in. A few 1v1's have performed reasonably well and have been fun to play, but even then the performance has not felt good. Pathfinding is still really bad, and I've seen several instances of villagers trying to walk off the edge of the map.

There are a handful of really nice interface changes, like the idle vil counter, age up blinking icon, and the ability to turn off the build hotkey so you can select a villager and make a building with one button press like in AoM. But there are many of weird quirks that I'm surprised they haven't changed too. For example, in aoe2 you can get scouting info my looking at the score, but in aoe1 it was actually possible to open the achievements menu during the game and view things like Villager High, and they decided to leave this in the game. And they added multiqueue, but they still have a restriction that you can only create one type of unit at a time. That means if you select a barracks and create an axeman, you can queue multiple axemen, but then you can't queue a slinger until the axemen finish or are cancelled. They missed a big opportunity to introduce not just the basic upgrade to the aoe2 like interface but the ability to queue technologies along with units (like in AoM). There are core gameplay mechanics like gates and unit garrisoning that I feel are reasonable to leave out to make the game feel more like aoe1, but not going far enough with their interface overhauls is a huge missed opportunity. Walkable farms are a good change, and they need more updates such as that.

The menu multiplayer lobby system is just bad. When the game first starts you have to wait for the menu and xbox live connection to load, and wait for a message of the day to pop up so you can dismiss it and finally click on the main menu. Then when you finally host a game you set the title once and can't change it. So if I set the title to "2v2" then 6 people join the lobby and we decide to play a larger TG, I can't then change the title to "4v4". You also can't select your player color in the lobby for some reason.

There are no recorded game and there isn't a spectator mode, so I doubt people would ever be able to spectate games. I haven't tried co-oping yet, but I suspect that's the only way to watch a game other than a pov stream. Idk how we would ever host a tournament on it: have both players record their pov and then edit it together as someone casts over it?

It seems like they implemented only a small subset of the features that were added in aoe2 or later in the series, but that's really lackluster considering that current mods already let you play aoe1 with these all those new features plus much more. With the Rome Returns mod you can even play with UP 1.5 features. The spec overlay even works reasonably well for it.

What also is strange is that they have no new content for the game. The original aoe1 had only 5 maps, and there were a few more added in RoR, but there really isn't much variety. We certainly won't have a random everything extreme to play in multiplayer. The one good thing about HD is the new content that was developed for it: the new civilizations that we've ported to WK and the new campaigns, maps, and AI for single player (even if they aren't as advanced as what the UP allows you to do). This is what FE was good at doing, and they haven't done it for DE. The single player features aren't in the beta right now, but I don't think they'll be anything but the original aoe1 with new graphics and a few changes to the campagins. Which is really a shame, since the vast, vast majority of players will be playing the single player game mode, and aoe1 definitely has not aged nearly as well as aoe2 in that regard.

I'm also pretty sure there isn't going to be modding support (and I think the Windows store doesn't actually support mods for games), so I imagine it will be hard to add user developed content to the game.

Really the only things the game has going for it are the graphics (which are rather nice) and the music (which is really nice). Otherwise playing the original aoe1, perhaps with something like UPatch or rocknror, or even Rome Returns, are much better ways actually to play aoe1, whether you're interested in single player or multiplayer.
 T-West

1731 (58%)

Postby  JoshuaR » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:57 am

I'm getting scared for AoE2:DE
 JoshuaR

Postby  Black Adder » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:18 pm

The multiplayer experience (which is what this part of the Closed Beta is about) is bad - I'm an old-school gamer used to everything, so I can enjoy things anyway with like being maybe slightly annoyed, but I cannot see how modern gamers would accept that.

The lobby is really unwieldy and uninspired, and it's also sooo laggy to do anything (all those long loads) and buggy apparently, too (or there are some hidden features/conditions you don't know about) - like quarter/third of the games I could not join with often the error being room full only to return to the lobby and see the game not being full (yes, I was joining my game version, I figured that out :d), so I think it might also just be a placeholder error message covering everything undocumented (sometimes I also got connection problems with players error though). In my almost three hours of a session three times the lobby completely froze on me for about a minute or two, couldn't do anything at all (didn't crash, worked fine when it defroze, so I guess some extreme loading time). Two times the game froze on me (like didn't continue) on the loading screen into the game, gave it a few mins and then noped out (at least there's that option to get back from it) - apparently something went wrong with connecting us players (it claims to be checking the connections somehow), the game just couldn't decide what to tell us I guess. Once the game couldn't connect me and another player in the game room, but didn't want to give up, so I just had to leave, and then in one game (actually with CheeseToast, FE tester) I got kicked right when it should start, which I at the time thought was a normal host kick, but it turns out it might actually be a bug as well as I've seen it reported elsewhere.

I managed to play 3 games, 2x 3v3 and 1x 4v4 (due to unclear teaming it was probably 3v4v1 or something), and all of them lagged (other players were getting the symbols), I could handle it and have some fun playing, I'm not a sissy as I said, but at parts it was really bad, and by bad I mean even 10s freezes, no kidding - gj on the game not dying and not going OOS, it didn't crash on me once, but that wasn't fun, the dropping/connection quality thresholds/conditions seem out of whack. After a few minutes of this apparently the game decided to drop the player finally it seemed - I was missing any kind of save screen or something in any cases of apparent player drops during the games, it looks like there is a lot going on under the hood that you are not shown regarding connection and kept guessing, and it's probably not working well (or it might have some different goals than would seem normal).

It seems it might be the same as with the other remakes, reasonably okay for single player if you can accept the old-game quirks and features (which is imo still an issue for new gamers, I don't think it's updated enough for them), but bad multiplayer. At that point though I'm not sure it's worth it when you can just use UPatch and play the original in HD just fine - up to you liking the graphics then I guess (I don't have a problem with them, but I can see how some are missing some kind of identity, original feel in it). Also taking UPatch into account - when you have the original gameplay preserved like that, why not go all the way and make the DE version completely modern in all aspects? You already have the old-mode on the graphics, why not just go all the way?

On another note, looking how they're boasting 100k new invites, the number of players/lobbies for basically an open stage seemed kind of underwhelming (plenty lobbies were filled with computer players), considering you don't have a single player option and this is the only way to play.

Btw tool tips lie - camels are no counter to elephants, I would've been more successful trying to shoo them away :d
Black Adder
Facebook+YouTube+Twitch: BlackAddersPlays

RTS League Staffer
rts-league.org
Facebook+Twitter+YouTube+Twitch: RTSLeague

"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself." P. O'Toole
 Black Adder
RTSL Staff

Postby  cort » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:36 am

The Xbox Insider Hub only shows a 0x0004005 and I cannot access the beta forum, not more to say unfortunately.
 cort

Next

Return to General AoC Discussion