Problems registering at AoCZone?
You can try resending activation email. If that doesnt work you can send an email here. If you forgot your password click here.

DM Rising Star 3

Discussion related to Death Match games
Advertisement from Google 

Re: DM Rising Star 3

Postby  klvowledge » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:19 am

Snyper1_ wrote:
i would be interested in playing, havent played more than 5 Dm games. About the 2. (?) edition it was a bit scaring to see that there were some 19++ players already joining which killed my interest in playing myself.

I can understand that higher leveled players give quality but personal i dont start training if there are that skilled players in.

I have no idea if others think the same, just my personal opinion. What was your idea about the skill level to join this one? :ugeek:

Anyway, great idea :)

Snyper1, thanks for the feedback! It's hard for me to gauge which skill level to allow for in the tournament. In DMRS1, I had capped it at 1700- players, and overall it was a successful tournament. For DMRS2, it was open to all except roughly the top 15 players, and again the tournament was great. I would love to hear more feedback from the community on this question, before making any decisions.
 klvowledge
Expert Player

2203 (53%)

Postby  nimanoe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:41 am

10 Jan 2018, 23:19 GMT » klvowledge wrote:
  Snyper1_ wrote:
i would be interested in playing, havent played more than 5 Dm games. About the 2. (?) edition it was a bit scaring to see that there were some 19++ players already joining which killed my interest in playing myself.

I can understand that higher leveled players give quality but personal i dont start training if there are that skilled players in.

I have no idea if others think the same, just my personal opinion. What was your idea about the skill level to join this one? :ugeek:

Anyway, great idea :)

Snyper1, thanks for the feedback! It's hard for me to gauge which skill level to allow for in the tournament. In DMRS1, I had capped it at 1700- players, and overall it was a successful tournament. For DMRS2, it was open to all except roughly the top 15 players, and again the tournament was great. I would love to hear more feedback from the community on this question, before making any decisions.

I think it depends on what you want, do you want to interest lower rated players to try out DM or do you want a competitive tournament where you motivate good RM players (and lower rated DM players as well) to play DM?
LEO CLAN IS BEST CLAN
 nimanoe

1513 (45%)

Postby  klvowledge » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:21 am

Personally I'm not too concerned with building up more interest in DM. I think it's fun to have a nice tournament, and I would like to base the tournament on what the community would appreciate the most (while still being DM).
 klvowledge
Expert Player

2203 (53%)

Postby  Spring_ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:14 am

As a player who got to participate in one and was excluded in the other here is my two cents.

I think that the rating of DM isn't really a great judge of skill or even level really. When I first started I was excluded because even though id only played DM about 2 months I reached 2k+. Now, I put in hours of training and asked for experts help every step of the way in an attempt to get as good as quickly as possible (putting in even more effort after finding out about the tournament). I think MANY people from the RM community could do this and improve much faster than I if they decided to put in much effort. So, excluding someone who actually shows interest and wants to improve based on their achievement is only hurting the ones who are actually interested. Furthermore, even though I reached 2k+ doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't lose to a 1700+ ect. DM rating system is not very populated with players so the ratings are very hit or miss much like AOE: HD, the number does not always equal an expected competency as RM would. This is why I much preferred the rules for DMRS 2 which excluded only the KNOWN experts, the ones who had been at a top level for years and proved a high level of skill, knowledge, and consistency. In doing this, it doesn't discourage players who know they cant make up for years of experience in only a few months of practice but still give alot of room for improvement and at your own pace.

I think there is alot of RM players that really misunderstand DM as taking alot of speed, micro ect... it really doesn't. Once you put in a little effort and learn the starts, you quickly see its much more about builds, hills, late game macro type ideas and far less about speed. (of course theres always going to be a viper who can do 10 things in the time you do 1 but thats just the way it is lol) DM is very easy to learn and get to a level where its competitive and fun compared to RM, were talking months instead of years.
P.S. the DM pros iv met are generally super nice and beyond willing to help out all types of skill levels improve, Iv been thoroughly impressed by most of them and specifically quendi team in general.
<iviktorius@Twitch> does having sex with a pregnant woman count as a threesome? Keepo
 Spring_

Postby  Spring_ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:14 am

except for kellan, hes a massive douche. almost forgot! :P
<iviktorius@Twitch> does having sex with a pregnant woman count as a threesome? Keepo
 Spring_

Advertisement from Google 

Postby  Clemensor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:22 am

11 Jan 2018, 03:14 GMT » Spring_ wrote:

yah **** that guy :ugeek:
 Clemensor

Postby  HyunAOP » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Will this involve wololo? Not fussed if not I love seeing DM games every now and then! :D
 HyunAOP

Postby  edie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:03 pm

+1 snyper I think the same. No interrest for 1300-1700 to play and loose game under 5 mins vs 195+ 2k on DM
<CGA_Cataclysm lost>
<DraCoNT won>
<http://www.voobly.com/match/view/16923183>
<PMR_Keif> Metal give me your account, I know how to calm this lizard

[20:00] [Frantic]SOBIGDIAO says:
U KING

[14:21] poZ_edie says:
do u have facebook?
[14:21] poZ_Tammy says:
i dont play this game ..
 edie
Top 1v1 player

2217 (56%)

Postby  klvowledge » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Clemensor wrote:
  11 Jan 2018, 03:14 GMT » Spring_ wrote:

yah **** that guy :ugeek:

:?

HyunAOP wrote:
Will this involve wololo? Not fussed if not I love seeing DM games every now and then! :D

I think it would be great to include WK, but it depends too on how many players would like to play in a WK tournament as opposed to original AoC.

edie wrote:
+1 snyper I think the same. No interrest for 1300-1700 to play and loose game under 5 mins vs 195+ 2k on DM

Thanks for your input Edie. I think that was exactly the intentions of DMRS1, which turned out nicely. Perhaps with enough donations, we could even consider doing 2 separate leagues for different levels of players.

Lastly, thank you very much for your long post Spring. I can't agree with you more about most of your points! A player by no means needs to be a speed demon to be good at DM; but just like RM, more speed is never a bad thing.
 klvowledge
Expert Player

2203 (53%)

Postby  andreskbr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 am

The idea of having 2 tournaments is very cool. Even if donations remain $200, money is not everything. The 2 funniest AoC tourneys I played had as prize Premium accounts, yet I prepared for them as they were the World Cup(even though I ended up far from the finals in both). Bring challenging settings and you have enough interest to make good competition. Civ draft system, done in last RM tournaments, would be great. Using in 1 or 2 games 1.5 UP new features(if I did not read wrongly, you can set a start wth Unique Unit in RMS. Imagine players choosing Mongols and Saracens instead of Huns because more effective raid before 1 min mark!). WK is not a bad idea, either(I'm pretty confident it would be way more popular in lower level than standard AoC). Personally I'd like to see a map contest as well. Some Mad/MR maps with slight changes to suit DM more could bring a strategical aspect of space for building not totally explored on DM GA. Whatever you choose, I'm really excited, Kellan. I hope I have the time to play!
 andreskbr

1901 (48%)

PreviousNext

Return to Death Match Discussion